• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics 2019 Politics Thread

dDave

V.I.P.
With a new year, it’s time to move the conversation to a new thread.

First item on the list, Government Shutdown.

Everyone keeps talking about how it’s so surprising but most seem to forget that Trump swore in December 2017 that he wouldn’t sign a budget without funding for the wall.

We’re talking about funding a total of I think 234 miles of wall. Basically all Democrats voted less than a decade ago to add about 350 miles of border wall. Why the complete flip flop in position? Why is no one making them explain this?

I’m convinced the only reason Democrats are against it is because they are afraid of Trump looking good. They hate him. The money Trump is asking for is 0.13% of the Federal budget. Basically nothing on a $4T+ budget.

I’m also yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why it’s “immoral” to build the wall. I think it comes down to money and power. Democrats have something to gain either financially or at the polls by basically supporting illegal immigration. These days, they just call it “immigration” as if there’s no problem at all. They call illegal immigrants “Americans”, “Citizens” and now have sanctuary cities to protect illegals. It’s absurd that people defend this and call Trump a racist for wanting to fix it.

I hope Trump stands firm and leaves it shut down until the absurdity ends and Democrats agree to fund an extremely reasonable project that they themselves have supported in the past.

Nancy Pelosi even tried to delay the State of the Union Address over “security” issues. The Secret service does not feel the same way. She’d better get ready because Trump is going to wholly annihilate the Dems for obstructionism in that speech. Is that what the speech is meant for? No. But I believe it’s necessary and that Trump sees that. Nancy is scared of him.

So... 2019 politics. Ready. Set. Go!

Impaired

Registered Member
It isn't immoral, other than the massive need for eminent domain to be used to seize private lands in order to build it. You okay with the government seizing all that privately owned land?

It is stupid. The wall isn't a real need. The immigration problem is more due to legal immigrants not leaving. Terrorists are caught at airports, despite the TSA being a security joke with agents more likely to be a criminal and steal your iPad than catch a criminal. More terrorists have come through the northern border than the southern one.

Drugs by and large come through LEGAL points of entry. If it is the drug problem, well my friends, opioids just passed car accidents in your likelihood of dying.

This is a huge, stupid political ploy. This is why Trump didn't do this when the GOP had control of the government. They waited for the Dems to win the house and then he played this stupid game.

What is absurd is people defending Trump on this, since there are thousands and thousands of miles of unprotected border that this wall won't cover. Are we going to make the USA a gated community? You okay with a wall across the beaches? That is what is needed if border security is really what you think is needed.

How does the wall work in the thousand miles of the border that is the Rio Grande?

I don't think anyone is afraid of Trump looking good. We're afraid of what this petty little man who rules through Twitter like a dram queen who is cut out of the popular clique is going to do and say next. We know it will be a lie. The man seems incapable of speaking without lying once or fifty times.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It isn't immoral, other than the massive need for eminent domain to be used to seize private lands in order to build it. You okay with the government seizing all that privately owned land?

It is stupid. The wall isn't a real need. The immigration problem is more due to legal immigrants not leaving. Terrorists are caught at airports, despite the TSA being a security joke with agents more likely to be a criminal and steal your iPad than catch a criminal. More terrorists have come through the northern border than the southern one.

Drugs by and large come through LEGAL points of entry. If it is the drug problem, well my friends, opioids just passed car accidents in your likelihood of dying.

This is a huge, stupid political ploy. This is why Trump didn't do this when the GOP had control of the government. They waited for the Dems to win the house and then he played this stupid game.

What is absurd is people defending Trump on this, since there are thousands and thousands of miles of unprotected border that this wall won't cover. Are we going to make the USA a gated community? You okay with a wall across the beaches? That is what is needed if border security is really what you think is needed.

How does the wall work in the thousand miles of the border that is the Rio Grande?

I don't think anyone is afraid of Trump looking good. We're afraid of what this petty little man who rules through Twitter like a dram queen who is cut out of the popular clique is going to do and say next. We know it will be a lie. The man seems incapable of speaking without lying once or fifty times.
The overwhelming majority of it isn't privately owned land. Some of it is, but whole parcels of land are not going to be seized.

The boots on the ground disagree with you. Most BP agents want the wall, most support the wall. It helps them cover hundreds and hundreds of open land that they have to cover.

That's a logical fallacy. Pointing out OTHER drugs are abused does not negate the ones that are coming through across the border. That's a stupid, tired argument. There are people out there that are murderers, that doesn't mean police shouldn't focus on thieves as well.

Is it really a political ploy? He ran on it, and people elected him on it. Hillary Clinton at one time supported a wall or a fence, so did Crying Chuck, so did Nancy Pelosi, so did Barack Obama....that is until Trump ran on it. Seems like the ones playing politics are the ones with the (D) after their name.

The wall will work because it will funnel people into areas that it does not cover. It will reduce the amount of miles the BP agents have to cover.
You need to grow some emotional maturity, and stop looking at everything so emotionally. That's why I say the things I say to you, because as a male, you are WAY TOO emotional, you are filled with too much hate for anyone and anything that goes against your beliefs. I get that you don't like him, you are entitled to not like him and vote against him. I didn't like Barack Obama, and still don't, but he ran on Obamacare and won, and as a man, I understood the consequences.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The #1 complaint I've heard for 20 years is Republicans are controlled by the Koch brothers, Democrats are controlled by Soros. Reality may mean it's not actually those 2 but it's still true that people vote for one thing and politicians feel forced to do what the big donors say.
So Trump publicly told the Koch brothers to go F themselves. You can see the results of that right now. He ran on a wall, people want the wall so that's what's going to happen. It's not the wall I'd like but it's a start. Better than anyone else.
Frankly we should all be happy. Somebody grew some balls. Maybe in 6 years you guys get someone that does things you elect him for.

Impaired

Registered Member
People don't want the wall (the majority). Idiots want the wall. The entire concept of a wall that covers a third of the border as an effective deterrent is laughable.

Trump has no balls. He's a coward. He governs through tweets and if a Dem did half the stuff he did, you the right would be in arms. In fact, when Obama did a shutdown, the right was up in arms. Suddenly now conservatives are FOR shutting down the government to force funding outside the budget.

Amazing

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Trump cancelling Pelosi's trip an hour before the plane took off. Lol. Now that's hilarious.

Impaired

Registered Member
Anything to stop a politician from wasting tax dollars it better than hilarious

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
People don't want the wall (the majority). Idiots want the wall. The entire concept of a wall that covers a third of the border as an effective deterrent is laughable.

Trump has no balls. He's a coward. He governs through tweets and if a Dem did half the stuff he did, you the right would be in arms. In fact, when Obama did a shutdown, the right was up in arms. Suddenly now conservatives are FOR shutting down the government to force funding outside the budget.

Amazing
Soooooo, you're argument is the boots on the ground who are actually THERE that want the wall are idiots, and YOU know better??

I knew you were a mouth breathing idiot, but damn...

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

Amazing
Obama shut the government down until he got what he ran on, Obamacare, and morons like YOU praised him for it. NOW, suddenly Trump has no balls and is a coward for doing the exact same thing. Unbelievable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M NFL 5
Shooting_Palanx Sports 0
Millz NFL 49
Millz Hockey 14
Konshentz College Sports 0