2018 Politics thread

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think a wall will help, it won't solve the problem but no single thing will. It will take going after people for hiring them, national eVerify, ending birthright citizenship for babies of foreigners, no more catch and release. I think amnesty should be the last thing talked about as long as illegal immigration is a problem.

Not sure how anyone could read/listen to that and say we don't need border security:
Full Transcripts: Trump’s Speech on Immigration and the Democratic Response
  • Every week, 300 of our citizens are killed by heroin alone. Ninety percent of which floods across from our southern border. More Americans will die from drugs this year than were killed in the entire Vietnam War.
  • In the last two years, ICE officers made 266,000 arrests of aliens with criminal records including those charged or convicted of 100,000 assaults, 30,000 sex crimes, and 4,000 violent killings.
  • Last month, 20,000 migrant children were illegally brought into the United States, a dramatic increase. These children are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs. One in three women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek up through Mexico.
I haven't seen any organization dispute those facts. Common sense says that a wall spanning the border is the first and best deterrent. The only argument I heard from the 2 leaders of the Democrat Party is "Trump bad, we good". Is party that important to people that they refuse to do what's sensible?

The problem is if we build the wall, who is to say that its really going to stop that much anyway? People will find a way to get here some other way.
It seems like the only way they are coming undocumented some other way is by boat. So that reduces the point of entry to small strips of land in CA and TX that could be easily monitored also.
If it's true that 90% if herion comes from the southern border, having a wall makes that much harder to transport. Let the drug smugglers sneak it though cars and airplanes where we have a much better chance of detecting it.

Not sure how anyone could read/listen to that and say we don't need border security:
Full Transcripts: Trump’s Speech on Immigration and the Democratic Response
  • Every week, 300 of our citizens are killed by heroin alone. Ninety percent of which floods across from our southern border. More Americans will die from drugs this year than were killed in the entire Vietnam War.
  • In the last two years, ICE officers made 266,000 arrests of aliens with criminal records including those charged or convicted of 100,000 assaults, 30,000 sex crimes, and 4,000 violent killings.
  • Last month, 20,000 migrant children were illegally brought into the United States, a dramatic increase. These children are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs. One in three women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek up through Mexico.
I haven't seen any organization dispute those facts. Common sense says that a wall spanning the border is the first and best deterrent. The only argument I heard from the 2 leaders of the Democrat Party is "Trump bad, we good". Is party that important to people that they refuse to do what's sensible?
And these drugs come in in legal vehicles for the most part.

Container ships coming in have about a 5% inspection rate.