2018 NHL off-season thread

EdgeHead

Registered Member
No chance. Habs asked for an interview with Tavares and he turned them down.

Now, let's see if Marc Bergevin has a plan B. And C. And D. And E. You know what I mean.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Apparently, the Habs are really high on Paul Statsny right now. I am fan of his, however, I'm not sure I would want the Canadiens to give him a five-plus type of deal. He's 32 years-old, will be 33 at the end of December. I think I would be comfortable to a four-year deal. Montreal do have the cap space to sign him.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I'm guessing that Stastny will be the Habs number 1 priority on July 1st but I hope they can find a way to score some significant upgrade at the D-line. I'm honestly not expecting the Habs to do anything big on day 1 if they don't get Stastny but I hope they can work a trade with another team to address those needs ASAP.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now, Bob McKenzie reported yesterday that no one should be surprised if Plekanec is back with the Habs when free agency begins on July 1st. If it's for only one-year deal, then I'm fine with it. I do not really expect the Canadiens to compete next year, and to have him on the third or fourth line, for a decent price is good with me.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
The scary part of the whole thing is that historically, diehard Habs fans have never accepted that the word "rebuild" be part of the vocabulary. Even though at this stage, it is necessary for the Habs to become a respectable team again. And I honestly don't trust Marc Bergevin to accomplish that rebuild. That's the frustrating part of the whole thing. I don't want my team to be a dumpster fire again for 2 years without seeing the silver lining.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do not mind another year of the Canadiens struggling since it's best for the team. That said, I feel bad for Price. Yes, last year he let him some pretty weak goals, however, the players in front of him did no favours. Thankfully, the smart hockey fans realize that he's arguably still the best goalie in the league, I just hate that his numbers take a bad hit because of it.