2017 NHL Off-Season thread

It will definitely be weird seeing him in a new jersey.

I figured it would've been Marleau staying put and Thornton bailing.

I was intrigued by the Marleau rumours. I don't have a problem with the AAV, but the 3rd year might hurt. Figured they would stick to two year contracts for these type of guys to not overlap the Matthews and Marner extensions. With some of the crazy money going around, I'm just hoping Nylander signs a 6for6 deal. But that looks like a pipe dream now.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
It's weird because I was under the assumption that Marleau & Jumbo Joe were pretty much a package deal. I figured that when Joe announced he'd re-sign with San Jose, Marleau would do the same. But still a great acquisition for the Leafs with Marleau, especially around kids like Matthews & Marner.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
With Radulov now headed to Dallas, Habs are pretty much at the same point than they were at the end of the season. Still haven't addressed their C issues and there's no way Charles Hudon can carry the load offensively this year, even if he's given chance after chance.

And to make matters worse, word going around tonight is that Andrei Markov is speaking to only one team...The Philadelphia Flyers. So, if you ask me, Marc Bergevin better pull a rabbit out of his hat because 2017-2018 will turn out to be exactly like this season: great regular season but only 1st round or 2nd round at best in the playoffs. At this stage, Bergevin must be held accountable for not addressing every issue this team has offensively.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
With Radulov now headed to Dallas, Habs are pretty much at the same point than they were at the end of the season. Still haven't addressed their C issues and there's no way Charles Hudon can carry the load offensively this year, even if he's given chance after chance.

And to make matters worse, word going around tonight is that Andrei Markov is speaking to only one team...The Philadelphia Flyers. So, if you ask me, Marc Bergevin better pull a rabbit out of his hat because 2017-2018 will turn out to be exactly like this season: great regular season but only 1st round or 2nd round at best in the playoffs. At this stage, Bergevin must be held accountable for not addressing every issue this team has offensively.
Losing Radulov doesn’t hurt as much with the addition of Drouin. They had pretty much the same stats last season, and I believe Drouin will be better going forward.

That said, they do need that centre like you mentioned, but there’s still lots of time for that. Losing Markov would suck, but there is no way the Habs should give him the terms he is asking – it’s just too much money. The next move I want them to do is re-sign Galchenyuk. They need to ink him up.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
No question about it. Galchenyuk needs to be re-signed ASAP. But I can't help thinking that going into training camp, if the team stays as it is, they're gonna be weaker than last year.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
So happy with the term. $4.9M AAV for three years. Now, the Habs have two young talented players that can put the puck in the net in Drouin and Galchenyuk. Now, let’s hope Julien starts him off at Centre right off the bat and leaves him there. He’s still young, he’ll make mistakes. The only thing is that he needs to put on more muscles/weight.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
IIRC, Julien made it clear that he doesn't see Galchenyuk as a C so I'm not holding my breath over this. Although circumstances might give him no choice but to have Chucky play C this year.