2017 NHL Off-Season thread

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Ken Hitchcock back in Dallas (unbelievable)

And Gerard Gallant will be the inaugural Las Vegas Golden Knights head coach.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bergevin came out yesterday and said that he will not try Price. Now, we heard something similar regarding Subban last year, and we always have to take what GM's say with a grain of salt, but it would be extremely stupid if they decided to trade him. Price also said that he loves it in Montreal and wants to stay there.

Also, Radulov said that he also wanted to come back to Montreal and he somewhat was trying to hint to the front office that they should after Kovalchuk - who wants to come back to the NHL.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That'd be nice and everything but

a) Will the Habs have enough money under the cap to even offer something to Kovalchuk?

b) Is Kovalchuk motivated enough? I know that Radu proved to us this year that he's highly motivated and it paid off but I always had my doubts about Kovalchuk. However, if he is and the Habs can sign him, that'd be a huge acquisition.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You have to make some room for Kovalchuk if you can sigh him. We know Beaulieu will be gone, so that 'little' money would help. It would be nice if they could get ride of the Emelin and Plekanec contracts, but that would be very hard to do.

And, I think Kovalchuk would be motivated. And, I don't believe anyone would offer him more than a one-year contract, so that would be enough motivation(like it was for Radulov) to hustle out there.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
But in that case, if money is too tight, isn't it safer to make a play for Vadim Shipachev from the KHL instead? The guy was the 3rd best scorer in the league this season and apparently, he's a pretty solid playmaker. Would be much less complicated to sign him than Kovalchuk, who gotta be signed by the Devils first before doing anything else.

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
You have to make some room for Kovalchuk if you can sigh him. We know Beaulieu will be gone, so that 'little' money would help. It would be nice if they could get ride of the Emelin and Plekanec contracts, but that would be very hard to do.

And, I think Kovalchuk would be motivated. And, I don't believe anyone would offer him more than a one-year contract, so that would be enough motivation(like it was for Radulov) to hustle out there.
I think Kovalchuk, if he comes over, would be a good get for anyone. I do think he'll get a 2 year deal. Although, as a Leafs fan that might just be what I'm hoping for as that's when Marner and Matthews will make some coin. I'm thinking 2/$12mil. From a Leafs perspective it would probably be a guy like Connor Brown going to the Devils, which I hate because a young winger with grit that can pop 20 goals doesn't fall off trees. But like I said, would be a pretty good get for anyone.

I'd be weary of Radulov on a long term deal. I think the 1 year deal to comeback kept him very motivated. Unlike Kovalchuk, he had never been able to get it together in the NHL.

With Vegas (and a blank slate Cap situation) I don't feel like any shorter term deal can't be gotten rid of. Just depends on how much the team with the onerous contract is willing to give Vegas. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks/months.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Kovalchuk and Blues rumors are heating up...Brodeur knows him, I say go for it...if possible.
I think Kovalchuk has a lot left in the tank and a lot to offer to any team. His rights still belong to the Devils, so it is a bit of a tricky situation if he does come back.

If he does come back to the NHL, the Devils probably want to get rid of him, so they’ll either do a sign-and-trade, or just trade his rights to another team.

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Kovalchuk has a lot left in the tank and a lot to offer to any team. His rights still belong to the Devils, so it is a bit of a tricky situation if he does come back.

If he does come back to the NHL, the Devils probably want to get rid of him, so they’ll either do a sign-and-trade, or just trade his rights to another team.
Yeah sounds complicated haha

I'd love to pair Tarasenko and him together...