• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2016: WWE Backlash

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Smackdown will be having their own PPV where they'll be crowning a new Tag Team champion. I really hope Slater and Rhyno win it all. They've been a fun tag team thus far.

Also, Backlash will have the WWE World Championship on the line when A.J Styles faces off against the champion Dean Ambrose. That should be an exciting match.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I hope WWE sees the money in Heath Slater & Rhyno together as a comedy tag team. I think that the "Meet The Slaters" segment on Smackdown on Tuesday proved it as Slater & Rhyno have fantastic chemistry together. We all know that American Alpha will end up with the title eventually so no big deal if they don't win it now. Slater & Rhyno must walk out of Backlash with the gold.

As for the Women's title, I'm expecting them to put it on Nikki Bella (you know, the comeback story after a near career ending injury) although I wish that it would be Becky Lynch that would walk away with the title. To me, it'd make most sense because right now, Nikki is embroiled in a feud with Carmella, who has zero heat and is barely starting to build her heel character so now's not the time. Just give it to Becky.

We're also getting Dolph Ziggler vs The Miz for the IC title. Someone threw in the air on Twitter the idea of Brian Kendrick coming to Smackdown to defend Daniel Bryan's honor and work against The Miz. Honestly, that would be brilliant. Kendrick's gonna kill it in the Cruiserweight division as he's proven why he's still one of the best Cruiserweights in the world at 37 during the CWC.

Orton vs Wyatt should be fun. If only Luke Harper would be healthy, I'd love to see him being thrown in front of Orton, just to prolong the feud.

Oh and is anyone more awesome than AJ Styles as a heel right now? People said that AJ had no talent on the mic whatsoever but since he arrived in WWE, he's been pure gold! I truly realize that AJ is doing his better work as a heel instead of a babyface.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's hard to think if they're going to remove the title off of Ambrose and put it on Styles. I like both wrestlers, but I wouldn't mind if Styles got a title run. He definitely deserves it. He's been killing it since coming to the WWE.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
This PPV should be stellar as far as the championship matches go. I'll predict the matches as of now.

Six Pack Challenge for the Smackdown Women's Title: Naomi vs Nattie vs Becky vs Carmella vs Alexa vs Nikki: I don't want Nikki to win... but sadly she's going to. If I could choose someone worthy, it'd be either Becky or Nattie. Carmella and Alexa are still too new to the main roster and Naomi just doesn't deserve it.

Smackdown Tag Team Championship: I figure the finals will be American Alpha vs Slater and Rhyno... I want American Alpha to win but they could go through underdog route with Slater and Rhyno winning so Slater gets a contract.

Miz vs Ziggler, IC Title: No way Ziggler wins here, Miz could get the win through shenanigans though to keep Ziggler from taking a clean loss.

Bray vs Orton: As much as I hope and pray Bray wins... he won't, Orton goes over.

Styles vs Ambrose: I figure unless they're ready to give up on Ambrose as champion, this will have a screwy finish to extend the feud. Maybe Ziggler attacks Styles and we get a triple threat in October.

Last edited:

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I don't think it would be WWE giving up on Dean Ambrose as champion as much as it would be WWE striking while the iron's hot with AJ Styles. AJ has given us consistent 5 star matches through the year and he's been involved in almost every top match in the company since his arrival. You can tell a great story with Dean Ambrose trying to regain his title. I like Ambrose with the belt but I really believe that Dean's character is more driven and efficient when he's chasing something. They could easily feud over the title until Survivor Series in Toronto without any hitch.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here are the matches for Backlash tomorrow:

Dean Ambrose (c) vs. AJ Styles

Women's Six-Pack Elimination Challenge

The Miz (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler
:
Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt
Result:

The Usos vs. The Hype Bros

Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. ???

EdgeHead

Registered Member
People had a lot of apprehension for Backlash because of the thin card but man, did it deliver.

Becky Lynch as first Smackdown Women's Champion. So happy for her. And what about Alexa Bliss' Harley Quinn look!!!

Really dug the finals of the tag tournament as well. So awesome that Heath Slater & Rhyno won but also the way that the Usos heel turn has unfolded is really fantastic. Everything changed with the Usos; from their look to their method in the ring. It's like they were inspired by the Minnesota Wrecking Crew with their double teaming and anytime someone busts out the Tequila Sunrise, this makes me happy.

The IC title match was really cool too. Ever since the split came into effect, The Miz has risen his heel game to the next level. A heel with legit heel heat. Really good storytelling as well from Dolph Ziggler in this one. Nice touch with Maryse using spray mace to blind Dolph and allow Miz to win the match. Looking forward to see what comes next for Miz/Bryan angle

And the best for last, AJ Styles is our new WWE World Champion. Only man in history to have held the NWA, TNA, IWGP & WWE Championship. I think we could make the argument that AJ Styles is currently the absolute best wrestler in the world, bar none (sorry Kazuchika Okada fans, but there's no shame in coming #2 to AJ). I don't recall someone reaching the status he has in WWE within 9 months like AJ Styles did. Now imagine if Vince had gotten his hands on him sooner.

So, yeah.....try to top that in 2 weeks, RAW.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Punk leaves in January 2014 and we're staring at the Orton Batista feud.

Would you believe in about 30 months time the major WWE champions would be AJ Styles, Kevin Owens and Shinsuke Nakamura?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Honestly?

Never. Not a chance. Daniel Bryan got the WWE title 2 months later and I also thought that was nearly impossible when Punk left.

Now, it's like pretty much every champion is deserving & credible in their spots: RAW, Smackdown, NXT. All of them. It so rarely happens. Especially in WWE; there's always one champion in the bunch we feel like is undeserving of his spot. Now, can't say that's the case all around.