• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics 2016 US General Election

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
With the primaries ending, I thought it would be a good time to start a new thread for the election.

So I'll start things off with this.

Is there a good reason to not vote for Gary Johnson (or another third party candidate)? I know he has no chance in hell of winning, but if he wins what, 5% of the vote, the Libertarian Party will receive federal funding in the next election?

The reasons I always hear to not vote for third parties are:

1. You're throwing your vote away if Candidate X can't win.

2. You should vote for Candidate Y because Candidate Z would be worse (vote for the lesser of two evils). A vote for Candidate X would be a vote for Candidate Z.

I feel like those excuses are missing the bigger picture. Sure, voting for Candidate X might not have any short term value, but if it helps break up the two party system and establish a viable third party four years or eight years down the road or however long it takes, isn't that worth it?

If not now, when both parties have put forward the least popular candidates in history, then when?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not a fan of the Libertarian party or rather Johnson but I do wish they would get enough votes so they would get federal funding. I would like to see three parties that get the same amount of attention.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
First, Austin Petersen was my favorite candidate from any party this year. Voting Libertarian would have been a no-brainier with him.

But I find the Libertarian party generally annoying and am not fond of Johnson. The party is annoying with their hyper-focus on drugs. Its cool, whatever.. sometimes the party seems like the marijuana party and things like the debt, taxes, education, healthcare, etc. don't matter. They are also ran by people that are at times morons. One of the candidates stripped naked on stage at the convention. Another is wanted for murder in Belize.

I don't know a lot about Johnson but I saw a debate with they guy where he stated that all drugs should be open(fine, I don't care) but then he insisted that the government should be allowed to force a business to act against their religious convictions; ie gay wedding cakes. You can't be a libertarian professing maximum freedom and be someone that's going to force a business to act as you see fit. He also made a horrible choice for vp who doesn't understand the 2nd amendment.

All that said, voting for the Libertarian party in order to gain them prominence isn't a bad idea. I may do that actually. I look at it as a vote for Johnson in 2016 is a vote for Petersen in 2020.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Ugh, I HATE those excuses. How am I throwing my vote away if I am voting for someone who goes against everything I believe in, just to prevent someone else who goes against everything I believe in from winning the election?

IF I believe Gary Johnson is the best person for the job, that's who I'm going to vote for. If he has no chance at winning it's because too many fall into the "he has no chance at winning so I'm not voting for him" mindset, and we end up with the mess of an election cycle we have now.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
First, Austin Petersen was my favorite candidate from any party this year. Voting Libertarian would have been a no-brainier with him.

But I find the Libertarian party generally annoying and am not fond of Johnson. The party is annoying with their hyper-focus on drugs. Its cool, whatever.. sometimes the party seems like the marijuana party and things like the debt, taxes, education, healthcare, etc. don't matter. They are also ran by people that are at times morons. One of the candidates stripped naked on stage at the convention. Another is wanted for murder in Belize.

I don't know a lot about Johnson but I saw a debate with they guy where he stated that all drugs should be open(fine, I don't care) but then he insisted that the government should be allowed to force a business to act against their religious convictions; ie gay wedding cakes. You can't be a libertarian professing maximum freedom and be someone that's going to force a business to act as you see fit. He also made a horrible choice for vp who doesn't understand the 2nd amendment.

All that said, voting for the Libertarian party in order to gain them prominence isn't a bad idea. I may do that actually. I look at it as a vote for Johnson in 2016 is a vote for Petersen in 2020.
I watched a little of the libertarian debate and John McAfee sounded the most intelligent. I don't know a lot about him except he is considered a nut but he gave the most intelligent answers. When this one guy was asked a question all he could say is 'I don't know.' I can't vote for that.

It doesn't help the libertarian party with a candidate that strips naked on stage and another one that is wanted for murder.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I watched a little of the libertarian debate and John McAfee sounded the most intelligent. I don't know a lot about him except he is considered a nut but he gave the most intelligent answers. When this one guy was asked a question all he could say is 'I don't know.' I can't vote for that.

It doesn't help the libertarian party with a candidate that strips naked on stage and another one that is wanted for murder.
I admittedly don't know very much about the Libertarian Party and how it's run. My knowledge is pretty much limited to the party platform and about Gary Johnson. But I would imagine that if they were to receive federal funding, they might become better organized and attract some more viable candidates in the future. Maybe a guy like Ron Paul would have run as a Libertarian instead of a Republican if the party had a chance to be competitive?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
With the primaries ending, I thought it would be a good time to start a new thread for the election.

So I'll start things off with this.

Is there a good reason to not vote for Gary Johnson (or another third party candidate)? I know he has no chance in hell of winning, but if he wins what, 5% of the vote, the Libertarian Party will receive federal funding in the next election?

The reasons I always hear to not vote for third parties are:

1. You're throwing your vote away if Candidate X can't win.

2. You should vote for Candidate Y because Candidate Z would be worse (vote for the lesser of two evils). A vote for Candidate X would be a vote for Candidate Z.

I feel like those excuses are missing the bigger picture. Sure, voting for Candidate X might not have any short term value, but if it helps break up the two party system and establish a viable third party four years or eight years down the road or however long it takes, isn't that worth it?

If not now, when both parties have put forward the least popular candidates in history, then when?
Holy crap, you've just described EVERY election in Canada since I'm eligible to vote. That's exactly how it goes over here.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I admittedly don't know very much about the Libertarian Party and how it's run. My knowledge is pretty much limited to the party platform and about Gary Johnson. But I would imagine that if they were to receive federal funding, they might become better organized and attract some more viable candidates in the future. Maybe a guy like Ron Paul would have run as a Libertarian instead of a Republican if the party had a chance to be competitive?
Yes if they would get some candidates like Ron Paul they would have a real chance. If someone like him was running I bet their popularity would increase.

I'm not very familiar with their platform and I don't keep up with their stances on the issues but they always came off as for too little government to me.

Did you watch any of their debate? This is the one I watched a small part of.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hillary is averaging a five-point lead in polls released in June.

And that's before her own nomination bump, which is coming soon with all these endorsements and positive press.