• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2016 Summer Olympics

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Figured I would start a new thread since it's just around the corner.

You guys excited? You going to watch?

It's a shame that so many athletes are bowing out because of so many issues in Rio de Janeiro, but I'm still going to watch as much as I possibly can because I'm addicted to the Olympics. I can't wait for Track and Field and Swimming.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'll be interested in watching some of it. I'm always hot and cold on Olympics. I generally just watch for a while if I flip it on and an interesting event is happening. It will be fascinating to see how Rio does and how it goes with some major athletes skipping.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I used to get really excited every four years when the Summer Olympics rolled around, but I have no plans on watching any of it this time. There's just far too much corruption and corporate greed and workers have lost their lives for it, and that's just not something I can get behind and celebrate anymore.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
WADA officially recommended to ban the entire country of Russia from the Rio Olympics following the McLaren Report. Now the question is if the IOC will have the balls to do it or will they chicken out of this.

4everKnicksLife

Registered Member
I'm probably gonna watch. It's still fun to watch, even w/ some of the top athletes not there. Most of the best are though and it'll be entertaining for sure. It's understandable why some athletes wouldn't wanna go w/ all the issues there, such as the Zika virus.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's a candidate for most gruesome looking of the sports year out of men's gymnastics qualifying, an awful broken leg on the men's vault by a man from France.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Even the photo in the newspaper this morning made me cringe.

But I love to watch the Olympics for pure genuine emotions. Like when the Canadian Women's 4 x 100 relay swimming team realized they had just won bronze. There were 2 16-year olds running that relay for them. Those girls were so overwhelmed but they ran a fantastic race.

And then, Penny Oleksyak (I think her brother plays for the Dallas Stars?) winning her 2nd medal of these games tonight by winning silver tonight. That Canadian swimming team will be fun to watch in future Olympics as well.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Penny Oleksyak has been a great story for Canada so far during her Olympics. Her emotional interview after winning the silver medal was great. And her not knowing she finished second until she looked at the scoreboard was so awesome to watch.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just think what Michael Phelps could have done if he hadn't wasted all those years smoking weed!!

Clearly being sarcastic.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What a stunning performance by the South African kid in the 400m race. I've never seen anything remotely like it. When they came into that last turn, I fully expected James and Merritt to make up the difference and take charge down the stretch. Instead Van Niekerk, who because of the lane 8 stagger couldn't see where anyone else was until the final straight, found another gear and blasted in.