• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hockey 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I honestly probably won't be watching...sadly. I just don't think I can handle it.

I kinda hope the Sharks win though. PIT has won so many times and I think it would be cool for Thornton, Pavelski and Marleau.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think Hitch is back if he wants to be back

I think Backes is not back
I kind of hope Backes is back. He really did a good job as a leader and in the playoffs this year IMO. He was quoted the other day saying that he wants to come back and that maybe he's "one of those guys" as far as spending a career in one place. Thinking probably a little more with my sentimentality I'd like to see him continuing to a be a leader on our team. I just wonder if he's necessary enough to keep - I doubt we'll want to pay him as much as he wants. I guess I just like the team we had this year, and would like to see the same core make it to the Stanley Cup Finals next year haha. A guy can hope.

I honestly probably won't be watching...sadly. I just don't think I can handle it.

I kinda hope the Sharks win though. PIT has won so many times and I think it would be cool for Thornton, Pavelski and Marleau.
I agree on both fronts. Things got heated with a couple of guys from CHI and DAL, but I really didn't have any huge problems with the Sharks (outside of the punching to Tarasenko's ribs while he was on the ground). I think that team and town making it for the first time is a great thing despite our loss, and I'd like to see them win it all.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Agreed on Backes...and it sounds like Hitchcock is back on a 1 year deal

Makes sense

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm glad to see Hitch back. Last year when we didn't make it far we were all pissed, but at the time I remember saying it seemed to be a player sort of issue and not our coaching. I think that a coach like Hitchcock is a rare opportunity for any franchise, and that if we replaced him with some scruboni we would ultimately regret it. I don't know if he'll be back for only one year or for 5, but I'm happy he's around. Let's win a Cup with the guy.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Penguins win 3-2 to take a 1-0 in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Murray called it a weird game in the post-game interview and I agree. The Sharks didn't get consistent pressure on him and they definitely need to get more shots on goal in this series, but they did have some flurries of great opportunities.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many shots the Pens had last night that clanged off the iron. I know there were a bunch of them. Pittsburgh's speed has been the difference. These two teams are pretty evenly matched, but unless San Jose figures out how to slow the Pens down this one could be a sweep, five at the most.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh is looking like a juggernaut. It's amazing that both games have been decided by one goal, because the Pens have just been so dominant. I'm still hoping the Sharks can make it a competitive series, but it's not looking too good for them anymore.

Also, Crosby's ability to pass off of his backhand is absurd.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Also, Crosby's ability to pass off of his backhand is absurd.

I've never seen anyone make so many amazing plays with his backhand. It's unreal how he does it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many shots the Pens had last night that clanged off the iron. I know there were a bunch of them. Pittsburgh's speed has been the difference. These two teams are pretty evenly matched, but unless San Jose figures out how to slow the Pens down this one could be a sweep, five at the most.
Finally had time to look this morning.

Penguins had 59 shot attempts (which includes shots on goal, blocked shots and missed shots) in Game 2. San Jose had 49.

Penguins had 67 shot attempts in Game 1, San Jose had 58.

The real difference is in scoring chances. According to the excellent war-on-ice.com, the Penguins have a 65-40 edge in scoring chances through the first two games.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
So if the Penguins win and Crosby gets the Conn Smythe - can we stop comparing him to Ovechkin? He was leagues ahead of Ovechkin before, plays of different position, and completely destroyed what Ovechkin did this year in the playoffs.