2016 Olympic City Goes Dark...

Discussion in 'Offbeat News' started by icegoat63, Nov 11, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

off to a bang right :hah:

Blackouts I think are probably the most overrated "crisis" that happens nowadays. Honestly I love it when the power goes out, the city goes dark... you can actually SEE the stars!

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think it's not that overrated! If it's for four hours then yes its not that big of a concern but if it's a few days then that could cause some serious problems, which if you have a sump up.

Also Ice you can see the stars really clear when you have electricity as well, really clearly as well. Well you can in my area.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. icegoat63

Not in my area. I mean dont get me wrong, I can see the major stars... But I'm talking about the whole Milky Way and the other constellations you can see with the naked eye if its dark enough.

the light pollution from the city makes it next to impossible to see those where I live.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

There's about 10-15 stars in the sky in the Chicago area on a clear night. The sky never gets that dark. The light pollution is pretty ridiculous.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow! That rediculous, we have polution here as well but it's not that bad. On a good night we can see a lot and I mean a lot of stars during the night time.

6. icegoat63

But yeah... I've always loved it when the power goes out. Lets you remember we're still just humans, that all those Electric things we use are nothing more than perks, things that dont define us.

Although its hilarious to see the flat out addicts freak out when they cant get on the internet :hah:

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I think this teaches us a few lessons:

1) Get a UPS for anything critical; and
    2) Live out in the countryside, no light pollution then!

On a more serious note, I don't see what the problem is. We're 7 years away from Brazil hosting the Olympics, that's probably more than enough time to get it sorted. Now, if this were to happen, say, frequently in the weeks coming up to the olympics, /then/ we can get worried.

8. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

who cares its 2009, for all we know we could engineer pigs to fly by 2016, I'm not at all worried.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Four hours is nothing when you're used to black outs. Ever live in a place where you have several tropical storms some months? Mega power generators, ftw! Better they experience it now and remember to deal with it as they prepare to host the Olympics than have the embarrassment during the event itself.

I agree Ice, when lights are out, the skies look better.

10. tinfoil_ninja

tinfoil_ninja New Member

black outs rarely happen anymore, i can't remember the last one.