• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2016 NBA Draft thread

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Draft is a couple days away, so let's talk about some of the prospects in this years draft. Any favourites? Sleepers? Guys you think are overrated? Who would you want your favourite team to draft? Lets discuss!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm excited for the Draft. I hope the Raptors decide to keep their pick.

They need a power forward, so I think if Ellenson is still on the board and they decide to keep their pick they'll go with him. Would love if Bender fell to them, though.

Also, I do believe that the 76ers should pick Simmons with the first overall pick.

4everKnicksLife

Registered Member
This draft is interesting. I don't think it's as good as last year's, at the top at least. But a lot of good players with plenty of potential still. My thoughts on some of the prospects:

Ben Simmons- best player in the draft, will/should be the #1 pick. He needs to improve his shot and probably add a little more weight (that'll come w/ time though). Embiid and Simmons plus Saric coming over from overseas gives the 76ers some talent, but it'll be interesting to see how they fit in. Also, do they trade Okafor and/or Noel for additional picks?

Brandon Ingram- Talented offensively, but really skinny and needs to add muscle weight. Get bigger and stronger. Also will be interesting to see if they try to trade Russell.

Kris Dunn- I think he might be better than Ingram. Very good defensively, skilled offensively, very quick and athletic. Has room for improvement, especially with his shot and consistency. Celtics at #3 could draft him, though if they do, I would think it'd be to trade the pick as they have a ton of guards already.

Buddy Hield- Offensively, he's good, but defense is a question mark.

Jamal Murray- Better than Hield imo. Very good offensively, and defensively he's decent. Plays hard though and showed at Kentucky that he can be a high volume scorer who can shoot the ball. TWolves are a really good fit for him. If Celtics take Dunn, Murray at #5 makes sense. He'd excel coming off the bench for them.

If I had to rank them, I'd say Dunn>Murray>Hield, though it's quite close.

Marquese Chriss- I keep reading that he's rising up draft boards, and for good reason. He's really athletic and can shoot the ball. Perfect for today's NBA. The Suns at #4 honestly make so much sense. Would be a great fit imo. I believe Michael Wilbon on ESPN who compared him to prime Amar'e but with a jump shot. That's a fair comparison in a sense, and Chriss has a lot of potential to be really good.

Dragan Bender- People keep comparing him to Porzingis, but I don't see it. Porzingis was 7'3" and much more athletic. Also, KP had success in the best league in Europe, while Bender struggled to get on the court. While Porzingis did well his rookie year, Bender is way more of a project. He needs to add weight and be more physical in the paint. Chriss > Bender

Deyonta Davis would be interesting fit with the Raptors at #9 or Bucks at #10.

Jaylen Brown- With the right team and right development, he could be a star. Great physical tools, athletic and solid defensively, but his shot needs improvement. Great in transition too. I wouldn't be surprised if he went as high as #3, if the Celtics decide to keep the pick.

Right now, here's how I'm predicting the draft (top 10) to go (not including trades, though there may/probably will be quite a few)
76ers- Simmons
Lakers- Ingram
Celtics- Brown
Suns- Chriss
TWolves- Dunn
Pelicans- Murray
Nuggets- Hield
Kings- Bender
Raptors- Ellenson
Bucks- Davis

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Should be interesting who the biggest drop is. My hope is that it's Hield and the Raptors snag him up.

And, I agree with Simmons. His jump shot is awful, but I do believe he'll put in the work into it to improve. If he becomes a gym rat, like let's say DeRozan than he'll be a real stud.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I really hope the Raptors do decide to keep the 9th pick as IMO they're not built for a long contention run. The draft class isn't strong but grabbing a helpful PF is not only a must but finding one that could start for them next season is a possibility. I'm leaning towards Sabonis, but my main concern is that he won't be able to play with JV.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really hope the Raptors do decide to keep the 9th pick as IMO they're not built for a long contention run. The draft class isn't strong but grabbing a helpful PF is not only a must but finding one that could start for them next season is a possibility. I'm leaning towards Sabonis, but my main concern is that he won't be able to play with JV.
I’m intrigued by Sabonis, but definitely not sold on him at this point. He may be the steal of the draft, though.

Why don’t you believe he can play with JV?

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Kris Dunn is the best player in this draft IMO. Solid all-round player, Leader on the court. Will make a solid impact right away.

As for the Raptors draft, I've seen some mock drafts where Brice Johnson slipped all the way to 27. But then again, there mock drafts, and I HIGHLY doubt he does slip that much. At 9, I'd be happy with Sabonis, assuming no one slips down to 9. Out of all the prospects available, Sabonis is the most NBA ready, and he can provide the much-needed help on the glass. Add in that he's also Lithuanian, and we've got the Lithuanian front court for years to come.

Another intriguing name at 27 would be Ivica Zubic. He's been making waves near the end of the draft workouts, but many people believe he'd be a lottery pick if it weren't for his injuries. He's got an NBA-ready body, and is a draft-and-stash prospect.

4everKnicksLife

Registered Member
So a got a few of my top 10 predictions right. Jaylen Brown is a good pick for the Celtics since they couldn't find a trade and already have a ton of guards. Suns get Bender and then trade for Chriss, which doesn't make much sense. One of them was fine, but both? Why? Traded 2 1st rounders for Chriss, who's a similar player as Bender and also a project. Deyonta Davis, Skal Labissiere, and Dejounte Murray were the biggest falls of the draft. Murray landed in a good situation with the Spurs. I think he could do well if developed correctly. Deyonta Davis is the steal of the draft. Lottery talent, taken in the 2nd round. Still young, plenty of upside, and will fit nicely with the Grizzlies, as he'll be able to come off the bench, take it slow, and learn from ZBo and Gasol while developing his game.
Winners- TWolves (Dunn was a good pick), Nuggets (Mudiay/Murray backcourt), OKC (they won that trade; traded Ibaka, but got back some good talent, including Oladipo), Spurs (Murray was a steal), Grizzlies (Really like the Davis selection)
Losers- Nets (probably the worst team in the league), Magic (needed rim protection and they get it in Ibaka, but he has 1 yr left on his deal plus they gave up too much), Celtics (Brown pick was nice, he could be good; but they failed again to land an established star like Butler), DeMarcus Cousins (anyone else see his tweet after seeing the Kings' draft moves?)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Raptors draft picks were surprising. Not sure how I feel about Poetl. From the highlights he seems like a high energy guy, with good food speed and he's good bar the rim. But, it seems like he'll just be a back-up to Jonas.

We'll see how it plays out. I was really hoping they would have drafted Sobanis.

The Magic got hosed in that trade. Have no clue what they were thinking reading so much for Ibaka.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NBA 1
4 NBA 7
Babe_Ruth NBA 4
Babe_Ruth NBA 36
Babe_Ruth NBA 5