• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2015 NBA Playoffs official thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/04/16/nba- ... f:nbahpt3a

Here are the match-ups.

Raptors square off against the Wizards, and I have no confidence in them right now. Yes, Washington have loss all three games this year against Toronto, but the Playoffs are a whole new season. I hope I'm wrong and they do move on to the second round, but to do so, guys like DeRozan, Valanciunas and Lowry will need to be big offensively, and defensively.

I'm picking the Cavaliers to win the whole thing.

willge87

Registered Member
The Raptors should beat the Wizards, but who knows given the way the Raptors have played since the all-star break.

My goal for the Raptors at the beginning of the season was them to win a round and despite the struggles it hasn't changed now.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some more thoughts:

I think Wizards fans are desperate for a series loss because Leonsis will keep Wittman around if they win a playoff series.
The Celtics are playing as well as anyone outside of Cleveland of late in the East, and Isaiah Thomas will win one game in that series by himself.
Excited to see The Brow in the playoffs, but the Pellies are way over their heads.
The Machine vs. Dysfunction. Spurs handle the Clips.
Injuries just killed the Blazers. No Wes. No Afflalo. No chance against Memphis.
Hawks were skidding down the stretch, but they've haven't had anything to play for in six weeks. Can they turn it back on?
The Mavs seem to always be a tricky playoff team. Any chance Dwight returns?

MissesThe90s

I gotta say.. I'm not confident against the Wiz. I've said it since the beginning, as long as JV is our starter, we will not contend. IMO he's too confused on D, far too inconsistent. He's still just too raw. The Wiz front court is dangerous too, and the experience boost with Paul pierce is worrisome. To be honest they have very similar squads, but I think the front court aspect might be our downfall. Raps X-Factors are gonna be Lou and Psycho for sure. Regardless of who takes it, it's going to be an exciting series for sure. Let's hope I'm wrong!

Other match ups look interesting..

ATL vs BK - ATL in 5
TO vs WAS - TO in 7 (I can be not confident, but I can't in good conscience pick against my Raps lol)
CHI vs MIL - CHI in 5 (I still can't believe PHI let MCW go..)
CLE vs BOS - CLE in 4

GSW vs NO - GSW in 7 (I think NO gives them a scare)
POR vs MEM - MEM in 5
LAC vs SA - SA in 6 (probably 4, but I'll say 6 because of CP3)
HOU vs DAL - HOU in 7 (should be a good series with or without DH)

Thoughts??

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Hawks were the third team in NBA history to go the whole season without a player scoring more than 30 points.

2002-03 Nuggets: 17-65
2004-05 Bobcats: 18-64
2014-15 Hawks: 60-22

thegreatone1964

Registered Member
First off -- the Hawks with no 30 point scorer? They played the T-Wolves twice, it is hard to believe someone didn't score 30 in one of those outings!

That said. I will do my best on predictions:

Hawks v. Nets - Hawks in 5 -- Brooklyn has superior talent, and I see Brad Daugherty is giving them 3 games in this series, but the Hawks have killed them all year. I will give the Nets a game for better talent, but it could be a sweep.

Raptors v. Washington -- Raptors in 6. Outside of the local areas, did anyone really want to see this series? The teams are coached by fired T-Wolves coaches for goodness sake. Washington has a lot of talent at every position and, when motivated, is very good. Toronto is more of a team and has the better coach by a lot. I just cannot get over the fact that the Wiz came to town a month ago and just absolutely got SPANKED by Minnesota.

By the way - the Wiz run on-ball screens for John Wall in the scoring end on the fast break. They set screens around the three point line and the free throw line so he can dribble to the basket. I have NEVER seen that before. It is not unusual in girls basketball to see a girl stop in the backcourt and set a screen for a dribbler on a fast break opportunity, but this Wiz concept is really unique.

Bulls v. Milwaukee - I don't see the Bucks giving them much trouble -- Bulls in 5

Cleveland and Boston -- I think the Celts give them a scare, but LeBron is 9-0 in first round series -- Cavs in 6

Warriors and Pelicans -- no contest -- sweep by Warriors.

Blazers v. Memphis -- I really hate both teams. I will select an upset -- Portland in 6. Memphis is just so damn hard to watch, I need them to get out of the playoffs early.

Clippers and Spurs -- god, I wish the Clips had done ANYTHING to upgrade their bench rather than engaging in blatant nepotism. But I am going to be a contrarian here and select the Clippers in 7. This is really do or die for Chris Paul - home court advantage, playing against 4,000 year old Tony Parker. DeAndre Jordan should match up well with Duncan. Kawhi Leonard's defense on 2s and 3s is basically wasted in this series, and I don't think he can stop Chris Paul from dribbling wherever he wants to go. And if Chris Paul loses in the first round again, his legacy may be irreparably tarnished. I think this is the worst first round draw the Spurs could have.

Rockets over Dallas in 7 -- again, two teams I hate. Dallas is better than you think and Houston is worse than you think and Harden stops getting his flop shit calls during the playoffs after a while. I think the Rockets just squeak by. Would not be surprised to see Dallas win.

MissesThe90s

Bizzy said:
The Hawks were the third team in NBA history to go the whole season without a player scoring more than 30 points.

2002-03 Nuggets: 17-65
2004-05 Bobcats: 18-64
2014-15 Hawks: 60-22

Damn, that says one of two things.. Either they play superior team basketball, or they better play some bad ass defence in the post season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
ESPN says Cavs are favored at 9/4, barely ahead of the Warriors at 5/2. But anyone who rolled the dice last June on LeBron's return is sitting on a 60/1 ticket.

Warriors finished with 67 wins, one of only 10 teams to do so. And they finished with a scoring margin of +10.1, one of eight teams to finish in double figures. All of the other teams have won the championship except the 1971-72 Bucks, who rank #4 all-time in scoring margin but had the misfortune of running into the top-ranked Lakers in the playoffs that season.

thegreatone1964

Registered Member
1971-72 would have been Kareem and Oscar against Wilt and Jerry West. Kareem was at his peak and the Lakers won 33 straight during the regular season. What an awesome series that must have been!

Milsap had a 30. And the Wolves did give up a 28 to Horford, so the Wolves tried their best to get a Hawk over 30 points. http://bkref.com/tiny/SoQhJ

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NBA 5
Babe_Ruth NBA 17
Babe_Ruth NBA 9
CaptainObvious NBA 70
Babe_Ruth NBA 3