• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2013 Hottest Australian Year on Record

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
As Maj pointed out, I also laugh when i see a single story showing an extreme hot or cold and that that is proof of something? Very small sample size.

Quite close to Australia you have Antarctica which is at record levels of ice. You probably saw that news story of the ship that got stuck but was full of people trying to prove global warming is happening, ironically getting stuck in record levels of ice. Then the ice breaker ship they sent in ALSO gets stuck. Quite ironic. Yet even this one story can't prove or disprove global warming.

Sometimes things get lumped into, if you don't believe or buy into _______ (i.e. global warming, evolution, vaccinations, etc) you are an ignorant, uneducated individual who doesn't understand science. That is what I see a lot anyway. It's a way to dismiss someone's arguments without actually having to argue against them.

As CO pointed out, I seriously don't think 100 years of data is enough when the earth is thousands of years old (or billions as some may think). This is also a small sample size.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know if I'm being called ignorant or not. All I said was that one abnormal year is too small of a sample size to conclusively determine whether it's part of a trend or if it's just an anomaly. It very well could be because of global warming. But I don't think anyone can say for sure.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I don't know if I'm being called ignorant or not. All I said was that one abnormal year is too small of a sample size to conclusively determine whether it's part of a trend or if it's just an anomaly. It very well could be because of global warming. But I don't think anyone can say for sure.
Mmmmmm. I was actually agreeing with you that one extreme case does not prove anything. The sample size is way too small.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I was replying to Crouton. Sorry, I'm posting from my phone and didn't feel like finding her post to quote it.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This is exactly my feelings and my take in it also. Could the Earth be warming? Sure. Could we as humans be contributing to it? Possibly, it's not proven one way or another, but to conclude someone is ignorant just because they don't buy it at this point is a silly argument.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Sounds like my sister picked a good year to holiday there then. She went on December 6th and gets back today. Hopefully she hasn't been burnt to a crisp!

I have to say this Winter has not been as cold as previous years. I mean it's been cold for sure, but usually by this time of year it is painfully cold, but I just haven't felt that way lately.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
As Maj pointed out, I also laugh when i see a single story showing an extreme hot or cold and that that is proof of something? Very small sample size.

Quite close to Australia you have Antarctica which is at record levels of ice. You probably saw that news story of the ship that got stuck but was full of people trying to prove global warming is happening, ironically getting stuck in record levels of ice. Then the ice breaker ship they sent in ALSO gets stuck. Quite ironic. Yet even this one story can't prove or disprove global warming.

You do realise that despite the name global warming doesn't JUST refer to hot weather right? It refers to a balance in the natural weather patterns being lost due to the copious amounts of chemical shit humans put into the air. An inbalance which cause both extreme heat and extreme cold. I always laugh when people point to really cold areas as proof of no global warming, when extreme cold itself is even more proof if anything else.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
So in other words if it gets hot it's because of global warming. If it gets cold it's because of global warming. Unless temps are exactly like the year before man is destroying the Earth and we are all headed to doom. Never mind the fact the "balance" is infinitely different than it was billions of years ago when the whole world was practically covered in lava. Never mind the Earth going through ice ages. The temperature being a few degrees hotter and/or colder than 50 years SOMEHOW means man is evil and is destroying the Earth.
------
I never said it was global warming, everyone seems to be assuming I did. In my op I said "is this global warming?" along with some other questions. I have no idea if it is or not I'm just putting it out there as an option. A lot of scientists on the news do think it has something to do with climate change. I'm more likely to believe them than anyone else since I'm no scientists myself and can't do the type of studies and research they do. For example, I would take the word of a scientist on something about science more than I would take the word of a Christian as Christianity has had a history of not getting on with science.
By this logic you since you aren't a Christian you should take a Christians word when it comes to Christianity since non Christians haven't studied Christianity and none of them have theology degrees. Since there is a widespread consensus amongst Christians that God does exist and Jesus Christ was his son and rose after being crucified then you should take their word for it.

By the way, what if that scientist is a Christian? Then what?

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
You do realise that despite the name global warming doesn't JUST refer to hot weather right? It refers to a balance in the natural weather patterns being lost due to the copious amounts of chemical shit humans put into the air. An inbalance which cause both extreme heat and extreme cold. I always laugh when people point to really cold areas as proof of no global warming, when extreme cold itself is even more proof if anything else.
This brings up an interesting point. I remember when all we heard about was "global warming" but a few years ago they switched from that and started calling it "climate change."

From a statistical standpoint you can't claim that a extremely cold area is proof of "climate change." The sample size is still WAY to small to make larger determinations. You have to look at average temperatures across the entire globe. Even then we have only good data for 100 years or so which is in and of itself still a small sample size. Anything we see as an anomaly may not be an anomaly at all. It could simply be part of a cycle that has repeated over and over again. We dont have enough data.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I was just saying that historically Christianity and Science don't get along. Devout Christians are known for being people who disagree with science and don't believe in things like Global Warming. So when it comes to scientific matters I find it hard to take Christians seriously, just from personal experience. I'm sure there are many Christian scientists out there which is great, I'm also sure that many of those people are less devout Christians, and more the type who follow their religion but are still willing to admit it is flawed.

Basically what I'm saying is that if thousands of scientists around the world dedicate their life to studying weather patterns, and a large percentage of them come to the conclusion of global warming then I am more likely to believe that. Than say, a Christian for example, who doesn't study science, and think that things in the Bible actually happened and things like that. It's an obvious choice of who's word I'm going to take seriously.

Also Van you can call it what you want but what we are really talking about here is the Advanced Greenhouse Effect. The effect of insanely large amounts of pollution being pumped into our atmosphere on a daily basis. Sure, weather has changed before, weather changes on it's own naturally. But never in history has there been such a huge amount of unnatural shit being forced into the world. That's why the last 100 years are actually extremely important. Because you can't compare them to the times when there wasn't anywhere near this level of pollution.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise Movies & TV 7
K NBA 0
sunrise Movies & TV 0
CaptainObvious NBA 70
Crouton Video Games 11