• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2013 Hottest Australian Year on Record

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
One year is too small of a sample size to say it's a result of global warming and not just an extreme year. For global warming you have to look at trends over many years, and it does seem that global temperatures are trending upward. I always laugh when people point to one abnormally cold day or a blizzard and say it's proof that there's no global warming.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's not one year though. It's the records since 1910. 2013 is the current highest temp. Before that 2005 was, before that another one was, I think it was in the mid 90's or something. I don't know them all, but if you graph all the record breaking hottest years from 1910 to 2013 it would be a constantly rising graph. That's why it's kind of a big deal that the record keeps getting broken, because the temperature keeps getting higher.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
It is estimated that the Earth is over 4.5 billion years old. Looking at a trend over the last 100 years is too small of a sample size to conclude its due to global warming. And, were talking about insignificant gains to begin with. I agree with Maj I laugh at that too, but I also laugh at those who point to something like this and conclude its proof of anything.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm skeptical of calling it global warming myself as well. It might be, but that can't be determined accurately at this stage. The globe is pretty big as well. If it was the hottest year in history across the entire globe, that would be interesting.

That said, 2013 was a scorcher in SA, and this year is kicking off with extreme temps as well. It is definitely toasty. :lol:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I never said it was global warming, everyone seems to be assuming I did. In my op I said "is this global warming?" along with some other questions. I have no idea if it is or not I'm just putting it out there as an option. A lot of scientists on the news do think it has something to do with climate change. I'm more likely to believe them than anyone else since I'm no scientists myself and can't do the type of studies and research they do. For example, I would take the word of a scientist on something about science more than I would take the word of a Christian as Christianity has had a history of not getting on with science.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm not assuming anything, you asked if it was due to global warming and I said it was too small a sample size and the differences in temps are too insignificant to conclude as such.

EDIT: I should add that's not historically accurate but it's irrelevant to the question posed in the OP.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of the glaciers do seem to be melting faster than before and many countries have been experiencing record temperatures and droughts these past few years. We had a few of our own. It could be global warming or it could be just a cycle the Earth goes through. The thing is if it is global warming, evidence does point that way but I wouldn't say its conclusive, and something isn't done to correct it we are going to be in trouble.

Now having said that we are experiencing the coldest winter we have had in years. Monday morning they are calling for lows of -2. It will be 10 below in this valley I live in if it clears off. Be lucky if my electric stays on. When its that cold electric lines break easy.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I personally find it very hard to believe that human beings could be pumping the amount of unnatural chemicals into the atmosphere as we do, with it having no difference on the Earth at all. I think anyone who does believe that is ignorant, or has simple never learnt about the scale of human pollution on the planet. Whether whatever happening is global warming or not, I think it's almost guaranteed that it's a result of humans and how we are abusing the Earth.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Ok, first you say people are assuming you are blaming man made global warming THEN come out and argue for man made global warming. I'm sorry, you can make all the "if you disagree with this you are ignorant" arguments you want but if your argument is "there is a lot of pollution then the Earth warming up HAS to be our fault" is pretty ignorant. For someone who claims to believe in science so much that argument sure does lack scientific backing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise Movies & TV 7
K NBA 0
sunrise Movies & TV 0
CaptainObvious NBA 70
Crouton Video Games 11