• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Does anybody believe that the world will end in 2012? I used to just laugh off all those theories but now I am not so sure. In the year 2011 we have already seen massive freaks of nature all over the world.

Floodings, bushfires, freak snowstorms, earthquakes, tsunami's, mudslides etc etc. All in different places around the world and all really deadly. I've seen natural disasters before but in all my years I've living I've never seen so many devastating ones almost at once. And it's only four months into 2011. Could this escalating worldwide string of disasters be a sign of 2012?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This should be in MD, but whatever.

I don't believe anything will happen. Our Earth is a constantly living planet. Disasters will happen. They do come in waves. Just because a bunch of them occur close together in one year doesn't mean the world is going to end on a certain date in a certain year.

Plus recent reports are saying the Mayan calendar may be off by a while.
Mayan Calendar's 2012 Doomsday Prophecy May Be Wrong - ABC News

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Mods feel free to move this to any MD forum.

I hope you are right KSpice, I sincerely hope the Mayan calendar is wrong. Although that article says it may be off by 50-100 years. If it's 50 then I may still be alive.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I watched that dumb Jesse Ventura show one day and was lol at the 2012 predictions. At one point, he was talking about the solar storm that NASA had confirmed that was coming and how it would wipe out electricity. I looked it up and admit it does make you go hummm??? Not the end of the world, but quite catastrophic.

YouTube - Nasa Warns Of Super Solar Storm 2012

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I watched that dumb Jesse Ventura show one day and was lol at the 2012 predictions. At one point, he was talking about the solar storm that NASA had confirmed that was coming and how it would wipe out electricity. I looked it up and admit it does make you go hummm??? Not the end of the world, but quite catastrophic.

YouTube - Nasa Warns Of Super Solar Storm 2012
Oh great, now I have even more to worry about next year. Exploding suns!

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
The only concern I have for 2012 is the meteor that will be passing very close to the earth but I trust scientist have predicted correctly and it will miss us.

I worry more about 2032 when this same meteor could possibly hit the earth and end all life if nothing is done to stop it.

I look at things like the Mayan Calender and see that the predictions, though some correct and fairly obvious, are 80% wrong. Some people see things like this as definite, and I think that is extremely naive thinking. Nothing and no one has been more right than wrong predicting the future.

Starfire86

Registered Member
I don't think it will be the "end" of the world. Perhaps just the end of our current way of life. I think there's strange energy that maybe wasn't around before, or maybe people just didn't notice it. Obviously, the weather has been pretty crazy this year, and things are just nuts in the middle east. We're even starting to some unrest in the states. But if you pay attention to the news, you'll see little stories here and there that are popping up more frequently. A couple of days ago some guy drove his van into a softball field full of kids. Last week a mother of four drove herself and her children into the Hudson river. People are on edge, and acting out in bizarre behavior. And to me, it just really FEELS like this is the year to get things done.
As for the predictions, those are a dime a dozen. People say the earth's poles are reversing, that our position within the milky way is going to relocate drastically, that the earth is going to flood (due to a giant mayan water-dragon), that aliens will come to save us (and their indigo/crystal children that have been reincarnated as humans),etc. etc. :lol:

I'm betting on a huge war erupting.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
What MIT posted is the most realistic scenario out of all the theories out there. I don't think the world is going to end, but life as we know will change. And it may not have to be from a solar storm to cause this, but a meteor could knock us out and I can bet ya' there will be survivors for a new beginning.

Dekzper

Registered Member
This should be in MD, but whatever.
Well, actually I think General Discussion might be too mature for this subject. :lol:
The Mayans were incredible math pros. Well, I'm really good with math too but does that mean that I can predict the end of time? Has any other mathematical genius predicted the end of time in 2012? I've also noticed that people can be incredibly bright in some things and not very bright in others. An aircraft engineer can tell someone how to build a great jet but can he tell anyone how to build an accurate telescope? Imo, the Mayans were really good with math but not good at predicting things.

Btw, this is not the only catastrophic year. Steinbeck wrote about the Dust Bowl that turned a whole state into a desert. I also read about an incredible earthquake in California that almost completely destroyed a big city. And the great ice storm of 2007 - that crippled a lot of states in the U.S. - didn't happen in 2011 either. Anyway, I'd need to see a lot worse happening before I thought an end of time was happening. And I still wouldn't believe anyone predicted it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I don't put much stock in it. It's intrigueing to think about being around for the type of disaster they show in the movies. Would I be one of those heroes that saves a group of people? Or would I be one of those shmoes that die right away? I don't plan my life around them anyways. I hope it doesn't happen.