• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I don't mean this to get into a discussion on the likeliness of 2012 happening or not -more what would happen to humanity if it did. One theory is that aliens will come down and reveal themselves to us. In one instance religion would be revealed as false. See that video of the UFO above The Dome on the Mount? Probably fake but there are some interesting religious implications to this and it got me thinking. How do you think the world would cope if the second coming was the arrival of aliens on Earth?

Dabs

Registered Member
Seriously, if the world is gonna end, it's gonna end the way it wants. I don't care if aliens come down, the whole thing blows up, it breaks into tiny pieces, whatever- but if it happens, I hope it happens quickly. I don't wish to see any human being have to suffer.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
2012...:lol:. The thought of the world ending in 2012 make me laugh. It could end in 2012. It could end after you read this post. The world can end at anytime. For everybody to think that the world ends in December 21st, 2012 is very surprising to me. Just because the Mayans calendar ends on that date doesn't mean the world is going to end. Our calendars end on December 31st every year and the world doesn't end. To me it is another 'Y2K' day.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't believe in any theory about the end of the world in 2012 and I simply don't care. As it was previously said, the world can end at anytime just like your life can end at any time. If I think about 2012 and see it as the end of the world, I'm sure my life would be x10 less happy than it is now.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This might be slightly off topic, but the Mayan calendar doesn't really end in 2012. It's the end of a period and it starts over. KInd of like a car odometer that starts back at 0 after it flips.

Dabs

Registered Member
2012...:lol:. The thought of the world ending in 2012 make me laugh. It could end in 2012. It could end after you read this post. The world can end at anytime. For everybody to think that the world ends in December 21st, 2012 is very surprising to me. Just because the Mayans calendar ends on that date doesn't mean the world is going to end. Our calendars end on December 31st every year and the world doesn't end. To me it is another 'Y2K' day.

I was watching this show about that, and it was presenting how they were chipping away at cement or something of that nature, that is how the calendar was made. Well, maybe they just ran out of cement and couldn't get past December 21st :lol:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I was watching this show about that, and it was presenting how they were chipping away at cement or something of that nature, that is how the calendar was made. Well, maybe they just ran out of cement and couldn't get past December 21st :lol:
No, there are symbols on there that represent time periods, representing months, a certain number of years, etc....when you add these together they come to the Winter solstice in 2012. But again, that just means the whole thing starts over again.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
You're missing the point. Whether 2012 is total BS or not I posed a hypothetical. Guess I'm more interested in the alien angle -how would religion and society cope?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I qualified my statement that it was slightly off topic, I was addressing Blue's comment that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, I didn't miss the point at all.

But for the sake of being on topic I'll play. I think people would seriously freak out if aliens suddenly landed on Earth on December 21, 2012. But I think they would as well no matter what day they landed, if at all.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
I think the Mayan thing was like that game "telephone". A couple of stoners in the 60's were sitting around and said "dood, wait, that word wasn't invented until the 90's, dood, look at that round calendar thing my mom got in Mexico, it's cool." "Dood, how do you read it?" Dood, it looks like an alien space ship". "Dood". "If it's round it doesn't ever end" "Dood, that's deep" "Dood".
And thus the legend of the end of the world.