• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2011 Women's World Cup

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is anybody planning on watching this, this year?

Looks like it's already started. United States, Germany, Brazil or Japan seem to be the favorites going in.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Canada lost 2-1 to the host country last night. I didn't watch the whole game, but our best player Sinclair broke her nose early in the game and then scored our lone goal. She's a real talented player. I don't see Canada winning any games, but I'll be happy if they make it close.

I believe Brazil will take it this year, they seem to be the strongest team going in.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't have much interest in this. The women are so much slower than the men. I find the boys Under-17 World Cup, which is also going on right now, to be a little more entertaining, so I've watched a couple of those games.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had it on when I was getting ready to go to work this morning and kinda felt the same way as Echoes. I'll probably try and watch the US women but all the other matches seem a little bleh to me.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I don't even know how to watch this. I haven't seen it on any of our channels here.
SBS is showing it. I think FoxSports as well.

I've been watching a bit, but not interested really. Final, I'll definitely be watching.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
For those who haven't been paying attention Germany and Brazil are out. Brazil being out after a remarkable comeback by the USA.

Right now USA is up 1-0 on France and Sweden vs Japan is later to determine the finals.

Vegito728

Registered Member
US just scored, again, up 3-1.

Man I hate soccer but that last goal was cool. Haha.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
A Japan/US final looks interesting. I'll try to actually watch it. haha

winning would be great for japan, but of course I'm pulling for the US.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I won't lie, I had zero to none interest in following this, but seeing as US was playing Japan in the final today, I did make my way down to my local pub to watch the final. Whilst I had a great time being on the news (shouting USA USA USA like a native) and seeing the crowd cheer after the first goal, I must admit that I am not surprised with the outcome. Sorry.

I haven't watched any of the games, but I am going to assume the USA team played better during the tournament than they did today. Two things lost them the cup today. One would be the goalkeepers (yes yes, Hope Solo is a hottie, but wtf does that matter?) and the lack of good finishing on goals.

I haven't looked at the stats yet, but the amount of opportunities they had and lost due to goals being too wide or too high was ridiculous at best. Draw at full time and draw in overtime leading to a penalty shoot-out was the worst possible outcome for this team. How does a professional team lose 3 out of 4 penalty shots? The mind boggles.

Sorry that you lost guys. I was as excited as the person next to me for the US team, but the team did not perform well in my layman's outsider opinion.

Just on a side note, having watched this game in New Orleans, there was a certain bitter sweet effect to it with the locals having know the feeling of winning a championship after a natural disaster and people down here are genuinely happy for Japan (tongue in cheek).

Well done to Japan on a good game and a well deserved win!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A College Sports 0
sunrise Movies & TV 0
sunrise Music 1
FreddieMays Movies & TV 3
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 9