• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2011 MLB Season Discussion thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The season will be getting underway in a few weeks. I thought it was a good time to start making some predictions, and start talking about the season in general. I do hope we have more discussion this year then we had last year. I hate that this section isn't all that active since I love talking baseball.

AL MVP:
NL MVP
AL Cy Young
NL Cy Young

World Series Opponents:
World Series Champions:

Is there any rookies you think we should look out for this season? Maybe you believe a second year player will make a splash this season.

Let's just get the ball rolling so to speak. I look forward to discuss the 2011 Major League Baseball regular season with you guys.

Here's to another great season.

Bosox04

Registered Member
Preseason playoff predictions

With the season starting next week, I thought it'd be cool to get an idea of who you think will make the playoffs and how those teams will do.

American League
EAST: Boston Red Sox
CENTRAL: Minnesota Twins
WEST: Texas Rangers
WILD CARD: New York Yankees

National Leauge
EAST: Philadelphia Phillies
CENTRAL: Milwaukee Brewers
WEST: San Francisco Giants
WILD CARD: San Diego Padres

Division Series:
Red Sox beat Rangers 3-1
Twins beat Yankees 3-1

Phillies beat Padres 3-0
Giants beat Brewers 3-2

League Championship Series:

Red Sox over Twins 4-2
Phillies over Giants 4-1

World Series:
Red Sox over Phillies 4-3

Yeah yeah yeah...I know, I'm a Sox homer...but this is actually very well thought out.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright here are my predictions for the season:

AL East: Boston Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit Tigers
AL West: Anaheim Angels
AL Wild Card: Chicago White Sox

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies
NL Central: St Louis Cardinals
NL West: San Francisco Giants
NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

Playoffs:

Boston over Chicago
Anaheim over Detroit
Boston over Anaheim

Philadelphia over Braves
San Francisco over St Louis
Philadelphia over San Francisco

World Series:

Phillies over Red Sox

Wade8813

Registered Member
American League
EAST: Boston Red Sox
CENTRAL: Minnesota Twins
WEST: Texas Rangers
WILD CARD: New York Yankees

National Leauge
EAST: Philadelphia Phillies
CENTRAL: Milwaukee Brewers
WEST: San Francisco Giants
WILD CARD: San Diego Padres
I haven't paid a lot of attention to them, but I got the impression that the Padres were at best a decent team, and then they lost their main offensive threat (Adrian Gonzalez).

That's the only change I'd definitely make to your predictions - drop San Diego for Atlanta.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Season is underway folks. A few games started at 1:05 Esstern Time. Unfortunately I can't watch any games yet, but I'm following the scoreboard.

Jason Heyward homers in his first at-bat of the season for the second straight year. The only other player that I can remember that did it was Kaz Matsui, can't think of anyone else on top of my head.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll make my picks as well...

AL East: Boston Red Sox
AL Central: Minnesota Twins
AL West: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
AL Wild Card: New York Yankees

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies
NL West: Colorado Rockies
NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

Wild Card Round:

Boston over Anaheim
New York over Minnesota

Phillies over Cardinals
Braves over Rockies

Boston over New York
Philadelphia over Atlanta

World Series:

Boston over Philly

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I might be way off, but hey it's all in good fun:

AL East: New York Yankees
AL Central: Minnesota Twins
AL West: Texas Rangers
AL Wild Card: Chicago White Sox

NL East: Atlanta Braves
NL West: San Francisco Giants
NL Wild Card: Philadelphia Phillies

Wild Card Round:

Rangers over White Sox
Twins over Yankees

Cardinals over Phillies
Braves over Rockies

Twins over Rangers
Braves over Cardinals

World Series:

Twins over Braves

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe the Braves have a chance to do some damage this season. With the likes of Chipper Jones, who I believe will have a great season, then you add McCann who's primed to have a mvp season then I think Heyward will have a great sophmore year. Then you have a strong starting rotation and bullpen and you have a scary team.

I still believe the Phillies will finish first in the division, but they might be off to a bad start due to injuries in there batters, but I believe their pitching are good enough to carry them. The only question mark on this team is definitely there bullpen.

flipsydog

Registered Member
I'm hoping the Braves do well this season. I'm not too big of a fan of them moving Prado to LF, but eh, what can you do? Hopefully Uggla can do some good. Just as the above post, I'm expecting McCann, Heyward, and Chipper to have pretty good seasons. Plus Prado can make it to second a lot of the time. Last season it seemed like they always came from behind, late in the game to get the win. While it's quite entertaining, let's hope they don't get me too scared this year as well. :p

Wade8813

Registered Member
Hey, welcome to GF!

I have pretty high hopes for the Braves as well (with my favorite team the Mariners scuking so much, it's about all I've got). I don't think Chipper will have that good of a year, but it wouldn't really surprise me.