• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2010 Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This thread is for everything at the upcoming Winter Olympics in Vancouver, except for hockey which should be discussed here and anything else that might be big enough to warrant its own thread.

So to get this thread going, what sports or events are you guys looking forward to?

I like a wide variety of stuff. My favorites are probably alpine skiing (particularly the Downhill), speed skating (short and long track), cross country skiing, and snowboarding.

I'll watch a lot of the hockey. It's not my favorite sport, but I like the international game a lot more than the NHL.

A lot of people laugh at curling, but I really enjoyed watching it at the last couple Winter games. It's a slow sport, but I love all the strategy and precision.

Twitch

Registered Member
Snowboarding is probably my top one to watch. No offense to people who like skiing but I just think snowboarding is funner to watch.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As you know the Olympics are held in Vancouver this year, which is in Canada, so these Olympics are a bit more special for me as I’m a Canadian. Canada as put a lot of money to make the 2010 Olympics safe for all competitors , and make it enjoyable for the fans.

I really love Winter Olympics, my favorite event is the hockey tournament and I believe Team Canada as a real good chance to winning the goal medal this year. But they’ll have some tough competition, especially against Team Russia and Team Sweden.

My second favorite event is speed skating, I just love watching it, it’s fast, tough and exciting to watch. I also enjoy watching Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Bobsleigh and even Curling. Like Echoes mentioned it’s very enjoyable to watch if you give it a chance. I get a lot of coverage through out the year of Curling here in Canada, because it’s pretty popular. The game is hard to understand at first, but when you know the rules it’s pretty entertaining.

The Canada will be definitely favorites in a lot of events, and I think we can finish in the top three in total medals. They’ve been training hard, and I think they can accomplish a lot.

It’s going to be an exciting time start February 12th and I’ll definitely be glued to the television set as much as I can. I’m just hopeful that we’ll be able to get some good conversation going about the Winter Olympics like we had for the Summer Olympics.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm looking forward the Figure Skating competition. I just finished watching the European Championships and the best news ever is that ..... Evgeni Plushenko is back! He's my fave figure skater, who won in the last Olympics but he decided to retire. His comeback is this year. Awesome, awesome! Yeah, he just won the European competition (Joubert, from France, was second). I'd like to see them compete again at the Olympics. And sorry for France, but Russia will get my cheer for the men singles because Plushenko is my idol...haha.

Bjarki

Registered Member
Still over 2 weeks to go.. meh meh :shake:

I will be watching the skating events cause that's the discipline we tend to score medals on.

What I like about the winter olympics is that all of the disciplines are fairly sweet to watch. The only thing I'm not much of a fan of is figure skating.
It's been a while though since I've gotten into any of the sports present. I used to watch hockey when i was younger and a few years ago ski jumping and biathlon, but I'm clueless about who's good now :shake:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I really dislike figure skating and most of the Olympic sports that are decided by judges. For one thing, there's bias involved, usually favoring the favorites or the home nation (China's gymnastics in Beijing, for example). But the other thing, the average viewer really has no clue how good a routine/performance was (barring any obvious errors) until the scores are shown. The results usually leave you scratching your head.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Trust me Canadians know about bias judge, we got robbed by figure skating judges during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. But in the end it worked out all well.

ESPN.com - Sale, Pelletier share gold with Russian pair

I'm not a big fan of figure skating either.

The only thing that I'm concerned about the Olympics is the weather, it's been raining every day, and there hasn't been any snow in a real long time. It can be a real big issue come February 12th.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This message is mostly for Ysabel since she's a figure skater, look out for Patrick Chan, he's one of the favorites to win a Gold Medal in Figure Skating, he's only nineteen years old and he's Canadian, from Toronto actually. There's going to be a lot of pressure on this young kid, and hopefully he'll be able to achieve his gold. He won the silver medal in the Worlds.

Just a friendly reminder that the 2010 games opening ceromony take place this Friday.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard about her shin bruise last night, she said she can't handle the pain right now, so she'll play it by ear. This would be a huge blow for the U.S if she couldn't go because she has a chance to win five gold medals.

Off-topic: Man she's hot.