2010 in question

It's officaly 500 days till the Football World Cup kick off! Can a third world country like South Africa deliver a world class tournament or will fans sit on wet cement?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Well this should be good, I hope and exciting as well. I loved Germany World Cup!

Let's hope Australia qualifies, as well as Serbia.

wooly

I am the woolrus
i think it'll be a world class tournament because i know the atmosphere is going to be amazing. It might lack in... structure. And it probably won't be such a spectacle as some other world cups. But i have a feeling the atmosphere, not just in the stadiums but in the whole country, is just going to be insane.

I'm hoping it's going to be a classic world cup. And i'm hoping the African teams that participate do really well.

RTWmaniac

Registered Member
Don't mean to be picky, but I wouldn't exactly consider South Africa to be a third world country.

With that said, I'm not entirely convinced they'll be able to pull it off. It's not an issue with the stadiums though. I think those will actually be ready. The problem is with the transportation throughout the country. There is very minimal public transportation. Talks have suggested buses being thrown all over the place, but we're talking about accommodating millions of people here.

An interesting question is who would be awarded the cup in the event that ZA doesn't pull it off? Australia and the US are most often mentioned but I think Aus would get it over us since we had it relatively recently.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
There is one thing the African's can boast and that is tremendous passion.

They will keep the world cup magic alive. Their culture will be encorporated in the football and I believe it should be a great spectacle.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is it officially still coming to South Africa? There had been talks about moving it because they weren't going to be ready.

Don't forget the Confederation Cup. This too will need excellent stadia, when much of them aren't ready yet. It will be a test if SA can handle the main event.