2010 Hockey Tournament

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the Olympics is less then a year away, which means the Olympics hockey tournament is less then a year away. Which country do you believe have the best chance of winning the gold medal? Please explain your anwser.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Canada is by far the best country. They have the most talent and most NHL players, so in my opinion they're automatically the team to beat. Especially since they'll be playing in their home country. But that doesn't mean it's a guaranteed gold, obviously. Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, and Finland are usually good too, and more than capable of beating Canada. Sometimes I think having too many star players hurts the Canadians. Also they're under so much pressure to win. Everybody EXPECTS them to win, and it's considered a huge failure if they come up short.

3. Babe_Ruth

It is a huge failure if they don't win the gold medal. Hockey is Canada's sport, even though Lacrosse is our National Sport, we still prefer hockey.

Canada will be in though, I think the Russians will have a very strong team this year and will be hard to beat. Just to name a few players:

Malkin
    Kovalev
    Ovechkin
    Datsyuk
    Kovalchuk
    Nabakov

There's a lot of talent on that team, but Canada plays more of a physical game, which could hurt the Russians. As of right now I still believe in Team Canada, but it will be a tough tournament.

4. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Well since Sweden won it last time I wouldn't discount them but at the surface you gotta think Canada is the team to beat. Russia will compete, the Czech's will compete and the United States probably but looking at it on paper Canada is the best.

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Canada would be the obvious pick, but let's remember where they've ended up in recent years- they've only medaled in five of the last eleven World Championships, and only have one Olympic gold in the past 56 years. They have a habit to drastically underperform given their talent- while Russia often exceeds what is expected based on paper.

On defense, Canada is unequalled. Boyle, Green, Weber, Pronger, Phaneuf, Niedermeyer to name a few. However, while Luoungo is viewed as Christ incarnate, remember the stats Nabakov put up in the last WC- two shutouts, .929%, and a GAA of 1.78. His stats in the NHL are deceptive- his international record is spectacular.

Russia's top six is the best on the planet. Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Datsyuk, and Semin- multiple 50 goal scorers on the same line. Their bottom six is inferior, but I don't think it ultimately matters. If Russia can put up four goals in the game, I don't think anyone can beat them.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

Based on the goal scorers, already listed, I'd gotta go with Russia providing the have a decent goalie in net. Canada could easily be silver with the pure talent that seems to be born into their blood.

My question though is this. After the last olympics a lot of players said to was tough for them to keep going strong in the NHL after going through the olympic competitions? Do you think it should go back to the days of the amateurs playing or maybe the AHLers so that the teams in the NHL don't suffer from having their top guys or majority of their team playing in the games?

7. Babe_Ruth

I've always thought that the Olympics were for the best atheletes in the world, so it's obvious the players in the NHL are the best in the world, so the ones that get selected should represent their country in the Olympics. I don't believe it should be amateur players at all. I'll be pretty angry if it goes to that.

8. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i bring it up because i remember players saying it was too much extra play for them and it tired them out sooner. some even said they wouldn't do it again or that they would need to think about it because they didn't want to hurt their team in a run for the post season.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with MJ, it should be the best players in the Olympics. If players want to whine about being too tired to play, let them. Nobody's forcing them. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find other players who would die for the chance to represent their country on the world's biggest stage.

10. Babe_Ruth

I agree with Echoes, he hit on the nail. There's a lot of players from different contries that play in the NHL. A lot of them would love to represent their country. Like Echoes mentioned if they whine about it, they don't have to accept. But most of them do, because they want to represent their country on the grandest stage of them all, and that's the Olympics.

rust me, a lot of players that get chosen in Team Canada or other countries will not refuse the oppurtunity to play in the Olympics, I can almost guaranteethat.