• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2010-2011 NHL Regular Season Thread

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
At the time I didnt jump on the Leafs bandwagon at all because they were doing good. It was entirely because I felt they had the best looking Sweaters in all of the NHL. I mean you gotta admit, The Maple Leaf Sweater in the NHL is just as iconic as the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL.

But yeah, I always get asked "well why dont you like the Sharks or the Ducks or the Kings? Those are all Teams in your home state?"

My answer... Its not that I dont like the Sharks or Ducks... in fact I do like the Sharks, the Ducks are meh... but I do like the Sharks. I despise the Kings... But if I claimed to be a Sharks fan, that would be dangerous to my Bank Account.

San Jose is within Driving distance of me... but driving distance is 2-1/2 hours. Every Sharks game I've been to I drive there, rent a hotel, and leave in the morning. Because I wouldn't be home from a Sharks game 'till easily after 1 almost 2 in the morning. That and San Jose is my favorite California City... so I like to enjoy a little time in Downtown SJ whenever I can. When we had the Falcons, I attended every single home game (including playoffs) from the 96 season all the way to 1999. And I'd do that for the Sharks if they were closer. But its just out of my range and thus becomes torture.

Since Fresno is in such an odd spot when it comes to Pro Sports teams, it makes it really hard on people like me to get attached to just 1 team in any league. Hell most people in Fresno dont know whether they like the 49'ers or the Raiders, The A's or the Giants. Basically we're in a Pro Sports Abyss that makes us want to love a team... but because we're dead smack in the middle... we dont know who to love.

So thats why I went with the Blue Jackets instead of the Sharks. Hell over the years I've tried to make the transition from BJ's to Sharks. I think it was in 2004 I told myself "Enough of this already, I'm gonna Support my California Teams!" But I just fell back into the same Routine as always and turned on BJ's games instead of Sharks games whenever the chance came up.

I've threatened that if Seattle or Las Vegas ever get a team... I may jump ship off the BJ's and resettle my fandom there because they are closer. More chance I'd be able to attend those kind of home games than I ever would at Nationwide.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Montreal is about two hours away from me, one hour an half if your booting it. The Scotiabank(the Sens arena) is about an hour away when there's a game due to traffic. The Scotiabank is built at one of the worst spots in Ottawa, it's extremely hard to get there, and to go back home. You can take a bus, but it will still take you half an hour.

I love where the Bell Centre(where the Canadiens play) it's situated right smack in the middle of downtown, it's so smart and extremely easy to walk there.

I hate when people tell me that I have to cheer for the Sens since I live in Ottawa, that doesn't make any sense at all. I cheer for whoever I want and like. I just laugh in their face when they tell me that.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah thats one of the Funnest Parts about going to the Sharks Games while wearing a Blue Jackets Jersey.

I get asked "Wow did you fly all the way over here?" and I say "Nope, I'm from Fresno". They give me the most Puzzled look, as if my nose melted off my face and they were to scared to tell me. I guess it is incredibly random to have a Blue Jackets Fan in the middle of California right? :hah:

When Kim and I have talked about moving somewhere drastically different, its funny 'cause the Local Sports teams are always one of the first things I look up. "Hmm Could I be a Redskins fan? I dunno if I could cheer for Virginia Tech.... The Capitals yeah... but VT and Redskins.. .hmmm" :hah: (My aunt lives in VA right next to DC and we'd loosely contemplated moving over there once, not serious though just in loose conversation)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The thing is that when I go to Montreal vs Ottawa games in Ottawa, there's more Habs fans then Senators fans. It's the same thing when the Leafs come to town. It's so hard to get tickets to Montreal or Toronto games so they just go see them play in Ottawa.

You can sit about 20k fans at the Scotiabank, and when Montreal or Toronto are there, I'd say there's 12k Habs or Leafs fans and the rest are Sens fans.

What I love is that either the Leafs or Habs fans are louder then the Sens fans, they'll start there little Go Sens Go chants, but the opposite team will shut them up with their chats.

Gawd! I hate the Sens, just talking about them makes me so angry.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The Funny thing is I've heard the same Discontent about the Sens from many other Forums. They'll have a few members that claim to be Hardcore Sens fans... but more often than not I hear the same exact story you just said about them than I do the latter.

When I was listening to the XM home ice almost religiously I remember the Placement of Scotiabank Place was yet another huge complaint. That its just in a bad bad spot in comparison to all the other places.

Im trying to think, the HP Pavilion was easy to find. The Freeways though were a pain in the ass because I remember there were about 4 different ones that I was absolutely not familiar with intersecting and changing at the same place you want to exit off of to get the proper exit for Downtown SJ. But once you're downtown its like any other downtown in North America, easy to get from one place to the other on Foot.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't heard anything yet, but both had terrible preseasons. I have a feeling that Niemi will get most of the starts at the beginning of the year.

Season starts on Thursday, I'm extremely excited and nervous for the Habs game. Unfortunately Mike Cammallari won't be playing since he got suspended for slashing an Islander.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I'm the Sharks I start Niemi...he did lead a team to a Stanley Cup Championship last year, afterall, haha.

Blues play Philly on Saturday night. Excited to get it started..

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Looks like Carey Price will miss tomorrow's opener against the Maple Leafs due to having the flu. This makes me extremely angry, I wanted to see him play his first game on the opener. Right now, he's only doubtful and the Canadiens haven't called up another goalie, so there's still hope.