2010-2011 NHL Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Time to get this section up and running and active...

The season is right around the corner!

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It was definitely a long off-season, but Pre-Season has started and the Canadiens open up in Toronto on October 7, 2010. Carey Price has looked horrible in pre-season thus far. I still have confidence in him, but I'm a bit nervous. I expect big things from the Canadiens this year, they have a solid tem offensively and defensively. Let's just hope they can put it all together before the season starts.

I look forward to discussing hockey with you guys once again this season.

3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I am curious to see if the Niemi/Niittymaki tandem will be as successful during the regular season as Nabokov was, and whether or not this past April was just a fluke or if Niemi will be the difference maker.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

So I paid little to no attention to the NHL last season. Almost didnt even know the Blackhawks won the Cup (or at least didnt remember it) until I picked up EA's NHL 11.

Holy hell the teams have changed since the last time I was adament about Professional hockey.

I'll do what I can to stay on top of it this year. I'll have to get Reacquainted with the Blue Jackets as I'm sure most of the Familiar Faces are gone. Plus I cant wait to see their New 3rd Jersey... NHL 11 still has it locked so I have no idea what it is! I hope its the oldschool one with the Civil War cap as the main Logo. I fucking Loved that Concept Sweater from years ago.

this one (I spoiled it 'cause its a very large pic);

[​IMG]

5. Babe_Ruth

Hopefully you do keep up with Hockey this year Ice, we need to get has much discussion as we possibly can.

Should be interesting to see if Mason can rebound from a horrible sophmore season.

I'm also interesting to see how Halak will do with the Blues, in his first season as the number one goalie.

Hockey can't come fast enough.

6. icegoat63

Yeah I try to forget or ignore Sophomore years completely..... its called a Sophomore Slump for a reason and an astonishing amount of players in all sports fall victim to it :hah:

Ugh, I was doing a little more research on the possible 3rd jersey concepts and I have to say that the BJ's have some hideous ones out there...

A red Alternate which is probably the most likely one as I doubt they'll try to fly with yet another logo change....

[​IMG]

This funky "C With a Soldier" one that I really dont like;

[​IMG]

This one with a Cannon as a Logo that I like better than that C-Soldier one;

[​IMG]

and then finally this progressive CBJ one that I actually kinda like also. Although it reminds me of the Dallas Stars one that came out that resembled more of a Baseball Jersey feel to it than a Hockey Sweater...

[​IMG]

Its always fun to see Fresh New Ideas... and beings that they're actually planning on doing it I hope they pick a good one.

HOWEVER! I have to say... so far, the Greatest Move I've seen in the Jersey World of Hockey.... The Buffalo Sabres getting rid of that hideous Banana Slug Logo and going back to the Updated Retro look. They took a lesson from Vancouver and the Green/Blue... I'm very excited to see these Jerseys in full swing;

[​IMG]

7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I love those Sabre jerseys...

Goat...you live in California right? How did you become a Blue Jackets fan if you don't mind me asking?

Should be an interesting season in St Louis for sure. The one thing we lacked was a young goalie and now we've got our stud. I expect the kids to do better and I expect Boyes and Backes to be better. Pietrangelo needs to be on this team and I am hoping this is the huge year we need from Erik Johnson.

8. Babe_Ruth

Pietrangelo definitely deserves to make the team, he's done enough in the Minors, it's time to see if he can handle the NHL now. I'm interested to see how their going to perform, on paper they have a lot of talent, especially guys who can put the puck in the net. Losing Tkachuk will hurt them somewhat, since he was a good leader and veteran in the locker room, but I'm sure other guys will pick it up in that department.

Only eight days till the season kicks off, I'm excited since Montreal will be facing the Leafs in their opener on October 7th, in Toronto. Should be a great game, and I'm hoping for a Habs victory, of course.

9. icegoat63

I dont mind at all.

I was introduced to Hockey in 1995, it was a Fresno Falcons Game vs. Bakersfield Condors. Back then that was the "Battle of 99" (99 = Calif. Freeway 99 because Fresno and Bakersfield are linked by that Freeway) and so there was a big buzz about the game. It had everything you need to hook a new fan, fights, goals, hits, and emotion. I immediately fell in love.

So I got hooked, but I was hooked on the WCHL, I didn't know a single thing about the NHL. Until I later bought the video game "NHL 98" for the Nintendo 64. My favorite color is blue, so I gravitated to the most Blue team in the game... The Maple Leafs. So from around 1997 to 2001 I claimed to be a fan of the Maple Leafs.

One of the things I've always had trouble with is being called a Bandwagon fan. Thats always bugged me and I hate it more than any other Sports label. So when I caught wind of the NHL 2000 Expansion (Min. Wild & Blue Jackets) I decided it was time to stop wearing Maple Leaf Blue and get behind a team that I'd be as far away from the title of "Bandwagon" as possible.

Then it was back to Green vs. Blue for me.... The Blue Jackets were a perfect fit for me. They were a lackluster young team that no one in their right mind would "jump on the bandwagon" for :hah:

I've been following the Blue Jackets hit and miss since their inaugural game against the Blackhawks in Oct. 7th, 2000. Obviously I've never been to a Home BJ's game. But I have been to San Jose vs Columbus games and I've been 1 of 5 people wearing the Blue jacket Sweater and Screaming my head off against the Stale Silence of a Home Crowd when the BJ's scored.

hahaha now that is fun.

10. Babe_Ruth

That's an awesome story Ice, glad you got off the Leafs "Bandwagon" ;) One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to sports is people jumping on teams bangwagon. It's so bad here in Ottawa it makes me so sick, it's one of the reasons I cannot stand the Senators. Ottawa Sports Fans(for the most part) are terrible, especially the ones that "cheer" for the Sens. If the Sens play well then you'll have people saying their Sens fans, if they play bad, then those suppose Sens fans jump on the bandwagon of a successful franchise. Two prime examples for the last few years are the Blackhawks and Penguins.

It makes me so mad.