2008 Election Discussion Thread (Democratic)

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Post all election news that relates to the Democratic Party.

Starting topic, from Swing State Project (an excellent non-presidential information site):

Swing State Project:: Swing State Nation

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

So do you guys think Obama made the right choice when picking Biden for his running mate? Biden himself today brought up that he thinks Hillary would have been a good choice as well, if not better.

Do you think Hillary secretly plans to run in 2012 and turned down the VP spot?

3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Something was odd about that pick. I mean he announced on Mon or Tues that the choice was made and would be texted at anytime and then it just went on and on without any word from Obama. Then he announced his decision on Saturday. You never announce anything on Saturday because no one watches news on Sat or Sun.

I really don't even have a theory about what was going on behind the scenes, but definately something happened.

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

The Republicans are fearmongering fascists who will even play the most dirty trick to smear Obama, appealing to the dumbed down, uninformed and utterly stupid mob -- like all these allegiations he is a child molester, questioning his patriotism and abusing 9/11 as a political tool to paint dissenters as anti-American.

If the Democrats don't learn to shoot back with the same kind of gun, they won't be able to win. They have too much decency and integrity to resort to the same kind of vile bullshit, but they have to, if they want to win.

I saw this description of a possible Dem ad on another board and found it's a good idea:

This commercial has a 16 year old white girl sobbing in front of the camera, telling you how her parents forced her to have her baby after she was raped by a black man or her own father - and she also tells you how every time she looks at her own baby, she sees the facial features of her attacker and relives the terror of the rape - and has fallen into a clinical depression because she has to endure this nightmare every time she has to breast feed her attacker's offspring.

Now show an ugly photo of a snarling Sarah Palin with her quote saying how she would not even allow a mercy abortion if her own daughter were raped.

Now, play the tape of John McCain implying at the Republican convention that he's going to appoint anti abortion supreme court judges to overturn Roe v. Wade.

End it with a CBS poll showing that 76% of all Americans strongly disagree with Sarah Palin and John McCain on the issue of abortions arising from rape. Fade with this silent text:

"Are these the kind of Mavericks we really want in the White House?"

THAT is the kind of ad the Dems must run, if they want to win.

5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Ha! I doubt most seriously that she was asked, after the damaging, divisive, scorched earth campaign she waged. Bill was visibly pissing down his leg when word got around that wifey was not to be honored with the nod.

For that matter, I doubt just as strongly that even being the incumbent veep would have stopped Hilbot 3000 from running in '12. N'est-ce pas, mes amis?

Is that not the lowest, most stomach-churning smear tactic ever perpetrated? Obama supported another legislator's bill that would help protect children against predation and the Republican slime machine twisted the facts so disgustingly as to make him seem to be a pervert of the very worst kind. And McCain, that dirty weasel, he endorsed the ad!

And they cry about Obama describing McCain's policies using the old expression 'lipstick on a pig,' which McCain himself uses "all the time" (according to a member of his own family) and which even Mike Huckabee said was clearly not directed by Obama at Sarah Palin. Funny, too, considering that McCain did compare Mitt Romney to a pig during the GOP's primary season. I guess that's okay, though, because Mitty's not a girl.

Oh, the hypocrisy! Oh, the depravity! Dear God, is there no depth of fecal muck to which these people won't blithely sink?

(LOL, Cons is right; I do kind of sound like a politician.Shame that I chose swineherding as a career, no?)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
    Sim likes this.
  6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Those kind of ads will be left to the 527 groups not the Dems or Repubs specifically, although I realize you can't really separate the 2.
    Here's one from a conservative 527 that is similar to the one you described:
    YouTube - Devestating Obama Abortion ad -- BornAliveTruth.org's new commercial featuring abortion survivor Gianna Jesson

It didn't have to come down to this. McCain challenged Obama to 10 town hall style debates and Obama apparently balked on it. At the time Obama had a double digit lead and I think he felt he had nothing to gain and everything to lose. So, instead we get 3 measly controlled debates and all of these other issues have to be fleshed out by surrogates instead of the candidates.

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

You know, there is adoption.

Also, I wouldn't recommend specifying that it was a black man (in the proposed ad) like that. It sounds incredibly racist.

And the most obvious Republican counter would be an ad about how almost all Americans are opposed to Obama's stance on partial birth abortion (not to mention the whole infants born alive thing). Democrats need to be really careful when they start getting into abortion ads like that. It could backfire in a big way.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Guys please don't use this thread as a debate thread for issues. Please make separate threads for that. This is a news discussion thread. Thanks.