• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2 Syrian families cross US border in Texas

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Members of two Syrian families had turned themselves in to U.S. authorities in Laredo, Texas, at the Mexican border, and were being processed by immigration officials, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said on Thursday.
http://news.yahoo.com/u-says-syrian-families-presented-themselves-texas-border-140941616.html

Looks like some did make it. Have to wonder if others have crossed and we just don't know about them.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They claim these families check out okay and they seem like nice people but how could they know that for sure in a few hours or at all.

According to Succar, who emigrated as a child and now belongs to his Brooklyn neighborhood's community council, corruption is so rampant in Syria that anyone can pay bribes to get official identification papers bearing a fake name that would disguise their real identity.

"Third World countries, particularly places like Syria, do not have the network of information the United States has," he adds. "In Syria, there's no such thing. So when they tell you that [the refugees] are vetted, are you out of your mind?"
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/syrian-community-leader-isis/2015/11/19/id/702864/

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten (AP) — Three Syrians traveling with fake Greek passports are being held in the Dutch Caribbean island of St. Maarten, authorities said, while officials in the Central American nation of Honduras reported detaining a Syrian and two Pakistanis traveling by bus Saturday.
http://news.yahoo.com/official-3-syrians-fake-ids-detained-st-maarten-155939866.html

I have a feeling this has been going on longer than we think. I bet we have people from the ME that already made it across the border that we know nothing about.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It is accepted that Genseric looted great amounts of treasure from the city, damaging objects of cultural significance such as the Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus by stripping away the gilt bronze roof tiles (hence the modern term vandalism. and also took Licinia Eudoxia and her daughters hostage.
The 455 Sack of Rome

Now replace "great amounts of treasure" with "oil fields", "Temple of Jupiter" with "Palmyra", and "daughters" with "Bataclan theatre". The Sack of the EU? The sackings led to the Fall of the Roman Empire and it could happen here too. I mean who wants to wake up in Syria, USA.

When theres a huge population of Muslims then theres terror cells too. See "Belgium". If illegal immigrants cant get jobs they join gangs. If ME migrants cant get jobs they join ISIS. Not all of them but probaly enough to start ISIS cells here. And Obama wants totally open US borders.

Officials said they did not believe the Syrians are tied to any terrorist groups
Why do I see that every time they find illegal ME immigrants? Is that SOP or what?
France admitted they didnt know how many Muslim extremists were involved in the latest attacks in Paris so maybe some of those werent believed to be terrorists either?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The 455 Sack of Rome

Now replace "great amounts of treasure" with "oil fields", "Temple of Jupiter" with "Palmyra", and "daughters" with "Bataclan theatre". The Sack of the EU? The sackings led to the Fall of the Roman Empire and it could happen here too. I mean who wants to wake up in Syria, USA.

When theres a huge population of Muslims then theres terror cells too. See "Belgium". If illegal immigrants cant get jobs they join gangs. If ME migrants cant get jobs they join ISIS. Not all of them but probaly enough to start ISIS cells here. And Obama wants totally open US borders.

Why do I see that every time they find illegal ME immigrants? Is that SOP or what?
France admitted they didnt know how many Muslim extremists were involved in the latest attacks in Paris so maybe some of those werent believed to be terrorists either?
We have let known terrorists in the US already even though their background had been checked. Somehow they missed that part. Too easy to falsify papers in places like Syria to assume they are alright even after a background check. Even if they aren't terrorists they can't guarantee their sympathies aren't with ISIS. A suicide bomber only acts once.

I'm all for helping refugees of war, you really have to feel sorry for the little kids, but not when it carries this much of a risk. It doesn't seem like Obama cares either, he is going to bring them here no matter what the rest of us want. 56% of Americans don't want them here and even 50% of Syrians already here don't want them brought here. At least that is what I read.

I think it would be wiser to help them in Turkey, Iraq or Syria until this is over. That I think we should do.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think I read where something like 81% of people charged in America on suspicion of connections to ISIS are actually US citizens. In my opinion, the biggest threat to America could come from within our borders, not outside them.

Not that foreigners aren't also a threat. But I think there's too much hysteria over this refugee situation. And this is exactly the kind of thing ISIS wants. The stuff some of the GOP candidates are saying is just appalling, such as only letting in Christian refugees (how do you prove your religion anyway?), or having a database of all Muslims in America, or even forcing Muslims to carry IDs with their religion on it. That kind of thing is eerily similar to Nazi Germany.

All the fear mongering and xenophobia and the perceived "War on Islam" will only make ISIS stronger. Makes it kind of easy for them to recruit not only soldiers to help them fight in the Middle East, but also people all over the world to carry out acts of terrorism in their home countries.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to wonder how many of those Americans that were charged with connections to ISIS were at some point refugees themselves.

Having a database of all Muslims in America is stupid. Now new refugees brought in is a different story considering what is going on.

You can't prove their religion no more than you can prove they don't have ties to ISIS or some other terrorist group. They just don't have the database in Syria, or many other countries in which we take refugees, to support any kind of real background check and that is the problem.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have to wonder how many of those Americans that were charged with connections to ISIS were at some point refugees themselves.
That's a fair question. I know the Tsarnaev's came to the US as refugees, however, it seems that they lived here for several years before becoming radicalized.

But at the same time, it's probably easier for these extremists to come over on a visa than to come as refugees.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a fair question. I know the Tsarnaev's came to the US as refugees, however, it seems that they lived here for several years before becoming radicalized.

But at the same time, it's probably easier for these extremists to come over on a visa than to come as refugees.
I think at least one of the men that tried to kill the people at the draw Muhammad contest was a Somalian that came in as a refugee and so did the men trying to buy the stinger missile in Kentucky I believe.

Yes if they can get a visa they would do that but don't that take time to do and lots of questions. I think they would have a better chance of slipping in under the radar as a refugee.

Russia warned us about Tsarnaev's. So I'm not sure if he wasn't always radicalized.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yes if they can get a visa they would do that but don't that take time to do and lots of questions. I think they would have a better chance of slipping in under the radar as a refugee.
I think the screening for refugees is a lot more intensive.

This is from an editorial I read in the Wall Street Journal the other day...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-case-for-accepting-syrian-refugees-1447803302

The U.S.’s vigorous screening process involves vetting from multiple security agencies. Refugees are also interviewed abroad by officers from the Department of Homeland Security before they are approved for resettlement. No population entering the U.S. is more closely examined than refugees.
Whether that's all true or not is anybody's guess. But it's coming from a former US Ambassador to Lebanon, Kuwait, Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Russia warned us about Tsarnaev's. So I'm not sure if he wasn't always radicalized.
The older Tsarnaev brother moved to the US in 2003.

He became a devout Muslim in 2009, according to friends and family.

Russia first warned the FBI about him in 2011...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26975845

According to an inspector general's report reviewed by the Times and other US media, the Russians told the FBI that Tsarnaev "was a follower of radical Islam" and "had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country's region to join unspecified underground groups".
He visited Dagestan in 2012, which it is believed to have played an important role in his radicalization.

All of the evidence points towards him becoming radicalized long after moving to the US. Either way, he should have been detained upon his return from Dagestan in 2012, but a misspelling in his name let him slip through.