• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Anyone else read Orwell's 1984? It's highly reccomended reading, and I'd like to see if there's anyone that would like to discuss it with me or other users.

leopard22

Registered Member
Hey ... I read 1984 way before 1984 was even here :cool: It actually was required reading at school. I'll have to brush up on it (where are those Cliff Notes?), but it's spooky how some of the stuff that was so scary looking is just part of our everyday life.

Doc

V.I.P.
Yeah dude, I couldn't help but compare it to the current state of the United States government and the blatant disregard for the rights we were founded on.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Big Brother really is watching now.. I have mixed feelings on it though, but I'll save it for the politics forum. :D

I haven't read 1984 personally. Seems like it's one of the books that everybody has read though, so maybe it's high time I sit down with it.

Doc

V.I.P.
I picked up a paperback copy at Border's for arund $8. I really enjoyed the read.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Man that book takes me back..Big Brother is always watching.

Now you want something scary?

The patriot act is taken right out of the pages of 1984. :-o

If you like 1984 try ferinheight 451. :nod: That one will bake your noodle.

leopard22

Registered Member
Oh yeah ... Fahernheit 451 ... semi-good movie made of it too if you don't have time for the book. An excellent read and way scary.

Andrew, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for your political posts. As a non-American who has lived 1/2 my life in the U.S. (but no longer does), I have a somewhat different way of looking at things that got me into no end of trouble everytime I would open my mouth in a political discussion.

I left the U.S. in 2000 and it was scary enough then. Has it gotten worse in terms of being very "Orwellian"?

Doc

V.I.P.
There is an actual law requireing ISP's to log every user's internet activity for three months. The government can take any kind of offense and claim that it's in support of terrorism and lock you in jail with NO trial and NO evidence.

Hell, there isn't even a set way of trying the prosoners in Guantanimo Bay, and they've been there since the beginning of Afghanistan.

The Patriot Act is making a mockery of our constitution, and all because the Republican congress awarded our Republican president special war-time rights. Our economy is in shambles. I think it's time for a new topic.

Anyway, the slogans of the Party really do remind me of our current government.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Albey

Registered Member
Anyway, the slogans of the Party really do remind me of our current government.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Well put scuba. I couldn't agree any more.

There is an actual law requireing ISP's to log every user's internet activity for three months.
Not sure about that one, never heard anything about that. But i'm sure you did your research.

Doc

V.I.P.
Actually it was Andrew that told me about it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mirage Reading 5
Hilander Reading 12
H Reading 10