• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB 16 team playoff format

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Let's say the new commisonner explores the idea of turning the MLB postseason into a 16 team playoff format like the NHL and NBA, would you be yay or nay on the idea? Please explain

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Don't like it. Season is too long as it is and the later you run in it (right now last game in World Series I think is Oct 29) the worse the weather gets. Cold weather baseball is not a fun thing to watch.

I don't like the play in wild card game. You play 162 games to lose one and go home? It should be a three game series but with that said I'd advocate for a shortening of the regular season and go back to 154 game schedule. Each team could drop interleague games to do it.

Unless you shorten the season, I can't see how doing a 16-team playoff format would work. And even there, I personally think that the extra wildcard team might be a little too much. I think that the wildcard team would enter the playoffs in a better frame of mind knowing they have to lose 3 games to be eliminated rather than one game in a sudden death situation. That format voids a serious amount of data about some teams for postseason IMO.

willge87

Registered Member
Here would be the playoff seedings for the 2014 season based off of a 16-team playoff. I go with the assumption that MLB would seed the division winners 1, 2 and 3 based off of their records:

AL:

[1] Angels: 98-64
[2] Orioles: 96-66
[3] Tigers: 90-72
[4] Royals: 89-73
[5] Athletics: 88-74
[6] Mariners: 87-75
[7] Indians: 85-77
[8] Yankees: 84-78

The luckless Blue Jays would have missed out by one game.

NL:

[1] Nationals: 96-66
[2] Dodgers: 94-68
[3] Cardinals: 90-72
[4] Pirates: 88-74
[5] Giants: 88-74 (Since this is hypothetical I'm not going to bother with a tie-break)
[6] Brewers: 82-80
[7] Braves: 79-83
[8] Mets: 79-83

The Braves and Mets making the post-season with sub .500 records would not sit right with me.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
willge87 said:
Here would be the playoff seedings for the 2014 season based off of a 16-team playoff. I go with the assumption that MLB would seed the division winners 1, 2 and 3 based off of their records:

NL:

[1] Nationals: 96-66
[2] Dodgers: 94-68
[3] Cardinals: 90-72
[4] Pirates: 88-74
[5] Giants: 88-74 (Since this is hypothetical I'm not going to bother with a tie-break)
[6] Brewers: 82-80
[7] Braves: 79-83
[8] Mets: 79-83

The Braves and Mets making the post-season with sub .500 records would not sit right with me.
You had the tiebreaker right just out of chance FWIW. And as for losing records it's not ideal but NFL has it happen at times, they had a division winner a few years back at 7-9. I just think it's too many teams even with a shorter season.

I'd rather shorten the season and make the wild card a 3 game series.