14 Year old Charged as an Adult

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by icegoat63, Nov 6, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

This news story is completely unfortunate. Not often do stories like this come out of my area... and this one is one that I wish never happened. However it did and its been all over the local news lately.

Heres the story:

Basically what happened was, the 14 year old coaxed the 4 year old into his house. Molested & Raped him, then warned him "if you tell anyone I will kill you". The 4 year old panicked and thus the 14 year old panicked... Drowned the 4 year old and stuffed him in the Clothes Dryer for 2 days.

the 14 year old isnt eligable for Capital Punishment, this per the article:

So what are your thoughts on this?

Should this 14 year old be tried as an Adult?
    Should he be eligible for a Death Penalty?

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

If he’s not eligible for capital punishment, he could always be castrated. He’s at an age where he knew what he did was wrong, (why else threaten the boy if he told?)
    I have a very hard time believing he can be reformed. Sexual predators-yes, that’s what he is-have a very high rate of going out and committing another sex crime once they are released from jail.
    The only reason I say he shouldn’t be executed is because it doesn’t sound like he planned to kill the child. If he had, then I’d support putting him down. It may sound cruel, but there are certain types of people I have no sympathy for. He happens to be one.

icegoat63 likes this.
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I have no problem with charging him as an adult. The crime he committed is one that society has deemed to be of such a nature that warrants this time of imprisonment and he is at an age where he knew what he was doing. Charge him as an adult and put him in prison for life if convicted.

icegoat63 likes this.
  4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

over here in Albania, 14 year olders are not treated as adults, nor condemned to death penalty. [these are given when the person is 18 or more]. those under 18 are taken to educational institutes.
    if what they do has bad consequences for the society, they may be transferred to jail after becoming 18 years old.

so i think this 14 year old should be taken to an institute when committing such severe crime, and if he happens to become a "better person" at 18, he might be released. if not, he should be treated as an adult after 18. which means taking away his freedom and jailing him for many years.

i'm against death penalty, though.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  5. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

To me, that fact that he threatened the kid not to tell anyone what had happened shows that he knew what he had done was wrong, so because of this, I see no issue charging him as an adult.

6. icegoat63

Because he is under 18, he wont be charged with Capital Punishment. And the second part of the article I outlined showed the max that time that he can be held starting as a minor.

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

If the person is 14 years old then they should be treated and charged as a 14 year old.

This is a problem with the judicial system and is no reason to make laws mallable. If the law is wrong, you dont bend it..... you change it! As soon as you start making consessions it only makes a mockery of justice.

So give him 32 + 15 then let him spend the rest of his life doped up to the eyebals in a padded cell sanctioned under a mental health act. Im sure this is well within the feasibility and more importantly the boundaries of the law.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    AngelsPeak likes this.
  8. icegoat63

Ok so this is interesting conundrum... when you say "he should be charged as a 14 year old" are you implying that the law should be flat and 14 doesn't matter if he committed (insert crime here) that the punishment is the same whether he's 14, 34 or 84.

Or do you mean simply just treat him like a 14 year old?

Because I agree with you that once the law becomes mallable and bends and bobs with each situation, it starts to become to hit and miss. Cracks become formed and justice simply doesnt get served properly.

I think I could see a flat rate of punishment for crimes. This being a great example of an unforgivable crime regardless of age or mental capacity.

9. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

If a person is a kidnapper, child molester, rapist, & murderer then they should be treated and charged as a kidnapper, child molester, rapist, & murderer. Child molesters can not be "cured".

Child molesting, raping, murderers are malfuncting carbon units that must be shut down.

10. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

not all child molesters/kidnappers/rapers are the same, thus they have to be treated differently.
    Plus, a 14 y.o raper is not the same with a 30 y.o raper.
    The psychological state of mind is one the first things that should be taken in consideration before giving the verdict.
    that's why a 14 y.o. can't be treated/punished equally to a 30 y.o.