12 Hour Shift or More...

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Shwa, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

So I just got comfirmation that I got the position for a CNA (Nursing Assistant) at a retirement facility in Lewisville, TX. I was a CNA in Maryland for a year before moving to Texas, but it was night shift and probably 10 hours at most. I'll be working the morning shift from 6:15am-6:30pm, 12 friggin hours. I've never had a shift longer than like 9-10.

Anyone have any advice on long shifts and how to go about them (besides doing your basic work), skills on how to manage through a long day like that.

~Shwa

2. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

In that 12 hours will you be occupied all the time, or will you have free time here and there?

3. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Im hoping that I'll be occupied the whole time, I was told most of the residents are fully dependent on someone to assist with their normal routines (feeding, bathing, walking, etc) and daily lives. I'm just hoping when people say time flies by...that it really does.

Also was wondering what others would do to keep themselves busy/calm if they were at a resting period/breaking point.

~Shwa

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Well if I get a little spare time while at work I will read the paper, a magazine, you could even take in a book. If you need to relax why not take a mp3 player and listen to that while you rest or something.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

You'll have to keep yourself busy for that time. You also need to make the most of your free time when you're not at work. If you sleep 7-8 hours a day that will only leave you with 2-5 hours of quality free time during the days you work. You need to get your body adjusted to the new schedule.

You're in luck, though, because 6-6 isn't a bad shift. Imagine if you had 8-9 or 9-9. You wouldn't get any quality free time.

6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

It's not that bad, the more you keep busy, the less you realize of the time going by. I find that when it is slower, it makes for an excruciating long day and boring too because its not like you can just go take a break anywhere for any extended period of time.