• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

12 ft., 650 lb. Gator killed in Florida

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This is a crazy story, the Alligator in question was just huge...there's a picture of a little girl standing next to it on CNN, that's where its size really comes to light for me. Crazy.

Apparently it had been around, but scaring swimmers and starting to go after peoples' dogs. That was why the people involved decided to hunt it town.

12-Foot, 650-Pound Alligator Caught And Killed In Florida (VIDEO)

Last edited by a moderator:

Iris

rainbow 11!
Uhm. Julington Creek is like a thirty minute drive from here. It is in the same city and everything.

I wish they could have moved it to a safe location instead of killing it.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was largely disappointed while in Florida... I never saw a single gator.

We heard some of the airlines people saying they had seen some in the swampy waters next to the highway... but I think he was just bs'ing to catch the attention of tourists like me.

bad deal the Gator had to go. May he live on as someones hideous boots and matching belt.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
If it was causing havoc and killing things then I could see that killing it would be the only option. I mean it's huge so I guess they figured eventually it could have done some damage since it's incredibly large.

Iris

rainbow 11!
They have even bigger ones at the Alligator Farm down in St. Augustine. Which isn't far from Jacksonville. I don't see why they couldn't have taken him there. Though I suppose since he is wild, his temperament could cause problems.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This is from the article, and it gives an idea of records with size an also talks about the idea of catching it:

According to the local station, the record size of an alligator caught in the area is 14 feet.

Trapping it was a battle. Trappers had to use harpoons and buoys to try to subdue the animal, but the efforts seems to simply enrage it. According to WJAX, the gator furiously thrashed about giving the trappers a real take on it's size.
My gut reaction was hoping that they would have been able to catch it, but it looks like it was too tough to do and it had a lot of ferocity...if it were going for pets, etc. I totally understand that putting it down was necessary.