• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

112th Congress

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
How do you think the next two years will play out?

Do you think Obama will move more to the center or do you think he will dig his heals in in defiance of the new majority in the House of Representatives? Basically will the new congress say "Come along with us, or we're going to steam roll your ass"?

Not only that, the senate picked up 6 new Republican Senators from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, North Dakota and Arkansas. This gives the Republicans plenty of wiggle room in the Senate, even though they don't have full power, they do have the help of a few moderate Democrats like Bob Casey and Joe Manchin, I wouldn't count the Senate out of the game just yet.

YouTube - 'I Will Now Pass On This Gavel?And The Sacred Trust That Goes With It'

It's nice to see a peaceful transfer of power... at least America still has that right.

Last edited:

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Well, he chose to compromise by maintaining the Bush tax cuts (unless I'm mistaken). And this is BEFORE the 112th Congress is in, so I feel he is going to do his best to keep both sides happy.

I guess we'll find out soon. Repealing Healthcare Reform is already in the Crosshairs....

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Well, he chose to compromise by maintaining the Bush tax cuts (unless I'm mistaken). And this is BEFORE the 112th Congress is in, so I feel he is going to do his best to keep both sides happy.

I guess we'll find out soon. Repealing Healthcare Reform is already in the Crosshairs....
The House would need 287 votes to over ride a Presidential veto. The Senate would be where the issue would lie.

Lets assume repeal of Obama Care passed... if all 242 Republicans voted to repeal Obama care and the President Vetoed it, all we would need is to get 45 Democrats on board to over ride the veto. There are still many Democrats that voted agaisnt it to begin with that still have a job. It may not be that far fetched to see this scenario.

Right now I think we are putting the cart before the horse. For starters The appropriations committee could basically starve Obama Care of funds and it would be dead in the water, not to mention court challenges striking down parts (if not all) of the law and Congressional review. Don't forget state challenges (Via the 10th Amendment) and public opinion has a huge impact on this as well. Obama care has a bleak future once the newly elected House is done with it.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I like the new cutgo rule. I also like that Boehner gave up the jet, even if it really is only symbolic. I like that they've killed a lot of waste-time committees like the global warming and climate change. Overall not a bad first day.
I think Obama plays it whichever way the wind blows. If the American people respond well to 112nd, he moderates. If not, he governs from the left and tries to be the exact opposite. Obama's in a defensive mode at this point because he's got to do whatever he can to save ObamaCare. If that goes down, so does his presidency and legacy.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
If that goes down, so does his presidency and legacy.
No matter what he does after this, history will know his first 2 years as president where shaky and inconsistent at best.

You know, I notice that Obama's timeline is reflecting that of William Taft's of 100 years ago. He came on as a progressive, but has occasionally taken more conservative actions, thus losing some progressive supporters. Whether the Democrats split up into two totally different parties as they did in 1910 remains to be seen, but damn that would be hilarious (which could very well happen if he tries to be a people pleaser).

As to Pro, yes you are correct, I was just pointing it out, I feel if that happens it will set the tone for the next 2 years. I mean, this could determine if he could get reelected. Many a time has a president turned around public opinion in the second half of his term....

I'm also hoping the Supreme Court shuts down Healthcare Reform too. That would be a great day for the Supreme Court, considering the lecture they got at last years state of the union.....

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm also hoping the Supreme Court shuts down Healthcare Reform too. That would be a great day for the Supreme Court, considering the lecture they got at last years state of the union.....
It will be interesting to see if the Supreme Court shuts down the entire bill or just certain parts of it. For example, implementing a penalty for not purchasing insurance to me is unconstitutional while prohibiting insurance companies from cancelling coverage after an illness is not.