• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

110 dogs rescued from Chinese slaughterhouse

hepismis

Registered Member
A group of 110 dogs rescued from a Chinese slaughterhouse have landed in Canada and are being adopted out to permanent owners in this country.

Animal society officials said the dogs "were being kept in deplorable conditions" (although likely no more deplorable than the conditions of hens at large industrial poultry farms).

I saw footage of the dogs on TV and they are just sitting passively in their temporary cages. I can never tell from a dog's face whether it's happy or unhappy, but these animals look accustomed to feeling like they have no control over their own lives. My best guess is that it'll take many months of rehabilitation for them to get used to being pets rather than prospective carcasses.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It sad what some animals are put through. Even if you plan on eating them they should be treated well. What is really bad about the Chinese they often cook these animals while they are still alive. Also they take bile from bears while they are alive. I think they treat animals worse than any factory farm here in the US.

hepismis

Registered Member
It sad what some animals are put through. Even if you plan on eating them they should be treated well. What is really bad about the Chinese they often cook these animals while they are still alive. Also they take bile from bears while they are alive. I think they treat animals worse than any factory farm here in the US.
I refuse to eat escargot, lobster, turtle and a few other foods because they are cooked alive. In the case of lobster, what they do is first dunk the lobster's head shallowly in boiling water in order to kill it before putting it in the pot, but there's no way to know that the lobster really is dead before it's boiled.

Those who gush about chicken being a "healthy" meat should see video of how meat hens are treated in mass-produtction farms. In camparison veal calves live like princes.

But then do we really know whether a carrot is alive or dead when we peel and chop it? Or whether a potato is alive or dead when we wrap it in foil and stick it in the oven? We don't. We can only go on the best information available to us.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I refuse to eat escargot, lobster, turtle and a few other foods because they are cooked alive. In the case of lobster, what they do is first dunk the lobster's head shallowly in boiling water in order to kill it before putting it in the pot, but there's no way to know that the lobster really is dead before it's boiled.

Those who gush about chicken being a "healthy" meat should see video of how meat hens are treated in mass-produtction farms. In camparison veal calves live like princes.

But then do we really know whether a carrot is alive or dead when we peel and chop it? Or whether a potato is alive or dead when we wrap it in foil and stick it in the oven? We don't. We can only go on the best information available to us.
I won't eat any animal cooked alive. Won't touch Foie Gras either.

I agree animals are treated badly on these factory farms. It could be a lot better for them but people will have to pay more.

hepismis

Registered Member
UPDATE: The dogs were actually spotted at a promotional dogmeat festival during the summer. An animal rescue organization bought all of them and provided health care and housing for them in China at its own expense while arranging for export to Canada (which I understand takes quite a bit of arranging and takes many months). The dogs are currently being assessed by a canine psychologist and will be adopted out once they're pronounced fit for permanent homes as pets. There's a chance that some of them are beyond the help of rehabilitation.

On the same day I read that the number of human migrants who died while trying to make the dangerous Mediterranean crossing from northern Libya to either Greece or Italy now exceeds 5,000. The dead include the 19-year-old backup goalkeeper from Gambia's national women's soccer team.