110,000 parents with children deported, no idea how many children left behind

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
WASHINGTON—Immigration officials are reviewing whether to gather more information about parents they deport whose children may be U.S. citizens and are left behind.

An investigation by the Homeland Security Department inspector general found immigration officials deported 108,434 parents with children who are U.S. citizens during 1998 to 2007. A report on the investigation was made public Friday.
The number may not be complete because Immigration and Customs Enforcement, part of the Homeland Security Department, does not keep detailed data on deported parents of children who are U.S. citizens. It is also unknown how many children the parents had, whether they left them behind and how many of the children were minors.
Report: Over 100,000 deportees had children in US - Boston.com

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
As far as I'm concerned, if you AREN'T a US citizen and you have a kid born in the US, then your kid shouldn't be a US citizen either. That's a major loophole in the system that needs to be closed ASAP.

Then we could just deport the kids with the parents and it wouldn't be such a big deal.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
As far as I'm concerned, if you AREN'T a US citizen and you have a kid born in the US, then your kid shouldn't be a US citizen either. That's a major loophole in the system that needs to be closed ASAP.

Then we could just deport the kids with the parents and it wouldn't be such a big deal.
I agree with Hybrix about the loophole in the system. I think non citizens are aware of it and try to take advantage of it. I've heard of stories where pregnant women try to cross the border just to have a US citizen baby. Except now they probably know that this doesn't give them any protection because they can still get deported despite having American kids.

However, since the loophole is already there :hah:, I think these people should have been given special consideration. You cannot deport the kids because they're citizens but what can you offer these children when you take away their parents like that?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I don't understand why that would even happen. Just because the kids are US citizens, that means they can't go with their parents? Get real, they're just kids. I've always been of the opinion that if your under age, your citizen ship should be able to change alot easier. Its not like a kid is going to be some kind of terrorist or something (In most cases anyhow, I'm sure there are exceptions).

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I think they should still be forced to leave with their parents, US citizens or not. They're still minors.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've seen this in action with some of my friends. When the parents are deported, they chose to leave the kids behind with family members. Its the desire of the parents for their kids to live in America. Its a tough heartbreaking choice for anyone to make, but we do have immigration laws and if you break the law..

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm with Brix and Ysabel, the kids should go, too and they shouldn't be declared US citizens if their parents are illegals. Listen, I have no problem with people coming to this country legally but otherwise, they're lawbreakers and should be dealt with as such. Also, we're no doubt going to hear arguments that illegals cause no real harm on the economy, but I ask you if that's even realistic to believe since they take a lot of jobs and take them for a lot less than legal citizens would get paid for.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
There would be no illegal immigrants if the borders were opened, and all current illegal immigrants were granted full amnesty. My only argument for it, though, is that I can see no ethical reason not to.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I agree, they should be deported, but at least make sure the kids are in the proper care. What if the parents are assholes? Then because they are US citizens the kids should be taken away from the parents and the parents should be deported.