• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

11 year old hellraiser is single handedly turning our neighborhood into a ghetto

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would suspect Tourette's or similar behavior disorder. Hitting isn't called for with kids. You can smash them into complete submission, yeah, but that's not education and it isn't parenting. The true message of spanking is that the bigger, more violent person gets his way.
But therein lies a problem because with some kids, no action outside of attempts to 'reason' are signs of weakness. It is about making sure the child knows his/her place and a slap on the butt isn't going to impart some sort of psychosis on them unless you're one of those inbred hick types who think it's okay to put your kid in the Million Dollar Dream because they won't eat their meat. I think when parents go overboard your post makes sense, they learn that violence is the key to gaining power and control. However, I don't see how such small scale punishment is damaging.

We're ultimately animals, whether we like to believe it or not and physicality is still a universal language. The problem is that it's such a delicate language and people don't know how to effectively speak it.

Roxy101

Registered Member
Same. I never had the guts to do it either since my mom would spank the shit outta me too if I "sassed off" to her or to anyone else for that matter. Sometimes it was a smack to the back of the head, or if I was really out of line - a wooden spoon to the ass which would hurt pretty bad even with a think layer of clothes. And sometimes she didn't even have to spank, she'd just give me one of those looks that made me stop dead in my tracks.

I don't think that a spank or a smack is child abuse. It's discipline. Yeah, if you go overboard and extreme - that's child abuse.

But seriously considering this, people should spank once in a while:

omg both my parents would kill me if i carried on like that

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
OMG. I would spank my kid a million times over if he/she behaved in that manner. I feel sorry for parents with kids like that, but aren't the parents mostly to blame? I don't have kids yet, so I cannot point fingers or imagine how hard it must be to raise children. But where is the discipline? Surely if this was enforced from a young age, these kids would not have turned out as horrendous as they did?
I totally agree with you, its not easy being a parent. This kid is a wife beater in the making. And to an extent its the parents' fault for spoiling them, and looking the other way for their bad behavior. I'm kinda glad that my mom gave us an ass-whoppin' when we deserved it, because it taught me respect; you don't appreciate it as a kid but once you grow up, you start to understand why.

SLAP = DEATH in my family. :lol: Seriously, this kid wouldn't last 5 minutes in the house I was raised in.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I came from an asian household. Enough said. :lol:

If words didn't work the first couple of times, my mom brought out the whipping stick. Some kids get the idea that they somehow have more leverage than the parents. When they're young, they don't realize how much they depend on them. Just the thought of my parents cutting off all support for me is enough to make me compliant.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
But therein lies a problem because with some kids, no action outside of attempts to 'reason' are signs of weakness. It is about making sure the child knows his/her place
And what 'place' might you be assigning here? Are you now advocating respect for the older generation? :lol:

and a slap on the butt isn't going to impart some sort of psychosis on them unless you're one of those inbred hick types who think it's okay to put your kid in the Million Dollar Dream because they won't eat their meat.
You know, there is such a thing as a little too over the top. I said that it sends the wrong message, nothing about psychosis. There's not much point in making a counterpoint to a point that wasn't made; I don't know why you persist in that habit.

I think when parents go overboard your post makes sense, they learn that violence is the key to gaining power and control. However, I don't see how such small scale punishment is damaging.
A lot of casually thought out theories met the window, once I faced the reality of being a father. It's a long and sometimes heartbreaking learning curve. If you have some scholarly pro-hitting papers to cite, however, I'm sure that I'd find them interesting.

We're ultimately animals, whether we like to believe it or not and physicality is still a universal language. The problem is that it's such a delicate language and people don't know how to effectively speak it.
Luckily, there's no rule that says we have to behave like lower mammals. And I don't know what's "delicate" about savagely attacking a small child and his mother with your fists because he acts in a manner not considered socially acceptable. One thing I dearly hope you do realize if you ever have a kid of your own is that some 'language,' if that's what you call communication via painful punishment, isn't fit for use, especially where the welfare of children is concerned.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
And what 'place' might you be assigning here? Are you now advocating respect for the older generation? :lol:
Since when have I said I have no respect for the older generation? Just because I don't like you doesn't mean anything about my general opinion of the previous generation.

You know, there is such a thing as a little too over the top. I said that it sends the wrong message, nothing about psychosis. There's not much point in making a counterpoint to a point that wasn't made; I don't know why you persist in that habit.
I know what you said, I'm quite a capable reader. The way you phrased it made it sound like you opposed hitting altogether as if it was going to impart some violent behaviors and tendencies on the child. Perhaps you should have worded it differently? Or better?

A lot of casually thought out theories met the window, once I faced the reality of being a father. It's a long and sometimes heartbreaking learning curve. If you have some scholarly pro-hitting papers to cite, however, I'm sure that I'd find them interesting.
That's great but that's just you.

We could also sit here and swap links but the truth is (And I'm sure you're aware of this) is that every single family, child and parent are different. The new age variety of punishment such as being "grounded" may work for some people and it may do nothing for another. One family may have been able to raise decent children (like my own parents) because they understand that it's not about beating your children into submission, it's about getting across a message of dominance quickly and effectively.

Society has developed this fear of any sort of hitting because whenever it's even mentioned, we simply assume the worst. If a parent says they've slapped their child, the common practice in today's society is to call the cops and assume those parents are raping their kids. Or at least, that's how we're being molded these days. But since you brought up the "pro-hitting papers" there, I'd like to ask if you have any facts to back up that all corporal punishment is bad and damaging? I mean, I know the answer is no but I'm curious to see what you have loaded in your proverbial chamber for debate ammunition.

Luckily, there's no rule that says we have to behave like lower mammals. And I don't know what's "delicate" about savagely attacking a small child and his mother with your fists because he acts in a manner not considered socially acceptable. One thing I dearly hope you do realize if you ever have a kid of your own is that some 'language,' if that's what you call communication via painful punishment, isn't fit for use, especially where the welfare of children is concerned.
Once again, I'm not sure how a slap on the bum is "savagely attacking a small child" or "painful punishment" which is why I responded to the initially quoted argument the way I did. It's quite clear what your stance is and even further from this paragraph that you seem to assume all corporal punishment is equivalent to going four rounds with Mike Tyson. Of course, I'm being partially hyperbolic, you did say fists so I'm assuming you're talking about extreme cases which wouldn't make much sense as a point against me since I've made it quite clear that I don't find that sort of action admirable either. As a matter of fact, people that go that far with their kids are the kinds of people I'd prefer to see on death row because they're the ones raising tomorrows criminals and psychopaths. Usually.

I'd also like to know what is making you fantasize that I "communicate" via "painful punishment" or where I suggested that was a sole form of communication. I was being very clear. Corporal punishment, in a small dose such as a slap on the bum or wrist is not something to be concerned about. People can cry all they want and say it is but they're wrong since more than likely, children who develop these violent tendencies and brutish ideas of control and power often come from extensively abusive homes. People can raise their kids however they want, but laying some blanket over the entirety of parenting is not just silly, it's flat out ignorant.

Bottom line, you find out what works, plain and simple. Most parents aren't fit to be parents but then again, a good parent is a rarity these days but can we really blame them fully? Couldn't this oversensitive and highly paranoid past generation or two, hell bent on knowing everything about everybody, possibly have something to do with these misguided people who take the easy route constantly by beating their kids and thus making the rest of them who do it on a much less frequent and intense level appear like villains as well?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
So I had to do my civic duty today.

We have a feral, out of control kid in my neighborhood. I had to sort him out with his parents.

Imagine someone screaming obscenities at people walking by his house, which were basically either racist or wanting to "fuck bitches", etc.

Very charming from an 11 year old.

I am 25, listened to gangster rap most of my life, and I NEVER had the balls to harass random adults. Then again, my parents spanked me.

Do we need to bring the paddle back in full force?
Seems like parents are too scared to smack their kids around anymore... all thanks to those wonderful folks at the child welfare office who think that if you yell at your kids in public you are abusing them... let alone smacking them upside the head when they talk back.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I grew up in the way of the spanking and I firmly believe it works wonders. Sitting in a corner or just "grounding" doesn't work. These kids run a muck and there is no parenting going on that I see around here.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I grew up in the way of the spanking and I firmly believe it works wonders. Sitting in a corner or just "grounding" doesn't work. These kids run a muck and there is no parenting going on that I see around here.
It used to work, but then again, as Merc said, it only works with some kids; and parents then resort to taking away the means of entertainment - sometimes that doesn't work either.

So, what are parents supposed to do when Super Nanny's 'naughty step' stops working completely? What's next then?

Saffy

Registered Member
Im with Tucker on this one, and yes im a parent, my kids are grown up now, and i did hit my kids,, not all the time,, not a lot,, but i did hit them... I was wrong.

theres also a lot more to parenting than discipline that goes a long way to shaping your children. I also cant get my head round the " well as long as its just a tap on the bottom, a light tap is ok" whats the point then? if its not to physically hurt, is it to humiliate? Would you smack your wife on the legs or bottom if she was rude to you? No as its not allowed, it would be called assault.
my personal opinion is there is always another way, and being against hitting kids is not being against discipline.