• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

'11 NCAA Tourney Discussion and Pick'em

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
With Selection Sunday being a week away I thought it was a good time to set up our General Forum group on Yahoo. I think it sent out an email invite to everyone who was in the group last year. If you weren't in the group last year, go here...

College Basketball Tournament Pick'em - Yahoo! Sports

Group ID#: 23055
Password: hybrix

We have some time to figure out what kind of scoring system we want to use.

Also, I figured we can just use this thread to discuss the actual tournament as well.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm signed up...just so you guys know, I typically don't follow college basketball as closely as I'd like to and usually end up making a lot of guesses on a bracket. I'm sure that's good news as far as competition goes, lol.

I look forward to it, though. Good luck to everyone that signs up...and here's hoping for some kind of Cinderella Story.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I don't watch much college basketball either... but I love the March Madness tourney and the pick'em that goes with it. I signed up and I'm ready to defend my title. Haha.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do watch a lot of of College Basketball and I cannot wait till this great tournament starts.

I joined, my name is Harrison Barnes(no surprise there). Thanks for setting this up again Echoes.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I may sign up for this. I am much better at picking college football bowls (Since I won the bowl pick 'em.. WOOO) but I should give picking March Madness a chance.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm signed up...just so you guys know, I typically don't follow college basketball as closely as I'd like to and usually end up making a lot of guesses on a bracket. I'm sure that's good news as far as competition goes, lol.
It's totally random. I watch a ton of college basketball and I usually suck at these things.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I'm in and after discussion with Echoes I would like it if it was non-standard scoring. This system would reward upsets.

The rounds would still reward 1 2 4 8 etc points until the champion for correct picks.

However, the seed of your pick would act as a multiplier to the points.

For example sayou have a 1 seed vs a 16 seed. If you pick a 1 seed to win you get 1 point. 1(point value)*1(seed) = 1

If you pick the 16 seed to win you would get 16 points for the correct pick.

1*16(seed) = 16 points.

This makes it much more interesting since in the next round if the 16 seed won you would receive 32 points for a correct pick.

The upset scoring system makes selecting 2 3 and 4 seeds more strategic in the final four. Personally, I find ins smaller pools usually the best route to go is to pick all number 1 seeds with standard scoring. Since odds are 1 of the 4 will make it.

With awarding bonus points for calling upsets it rewards basketball knowledge and taking a gamble with a team like Murray St. or Oakland since the reward is a huge payoff.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I signed up for this as well. Should be fun. I'll just do miserably again, but that's ok. I had fun with the football bowl pick'em.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like your idea Swift, and I'm glad you approached Echoes. I was going to send you a IM some time this week wondering if you would be interested in joining.

The more people we get the better it is. I can't wait to get this thing started, and hopefully we can get some good discussion going on about the games. I'm always glued to the television when this tournament starts.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just signed up, should be fun.

I won 600 bucks in my work pool last year and it's funny because I usually only start paying attention to college basketball around, well, now, haha.