• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

11 Animals That Are Now Extinct

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Major extinction events are nothing new for the planet, but species are now dying out at an alarming rate thanks to humans.

11 Animals That Are Now Extinct ... And It's Our Fault
This is really sad that we caused these extinctions and mostly because of over hunting. I would of like to of seen a West African Black Rhino or even a passenger pigeon. I'll never get the chance and I'm afraid other animals are going to follow them down that road to extinction.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Fish are next. Many species of fish, like the blue fin tuna have been almost fished to extinction. Many of them are on the brink. There's reports from fisherman going out to see and sailing for days over oceans and seeing not one fish, or seabird, or sign of life anyway in the same sea's that used to be plentiful.

People seem to think that fish is some endless food source, but the UN has said that by as early as 2040 many of the world's fish will be gone, and we will be on our way to having empty oceans.... all because humans take more than they should.

It really bothers me that people like to eat fish but they never think about the consequences. Soon we will have an empty, dead ocean. Children of the future will learn about ocean fish in text books but never be able to see one in person, and it's all our fault.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Someone at GF once said that humans have never caused a species to go extinct.

It's pretty sad, and I fear for the future of a lot of the planet's other species. Hopefully one day we'll be able to bring these species back to life using their DNA. Not that it would do much good with their habitat being gone.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
The only thing we could do is stop fishing altogether. For at least 5 years or something. Put a massive worldwide ban on ocean fishing. Then maybe the fish would have a chance at building up their numbers again. But of course that's just a fantasy. People like to eat fish, and as long as humans tastebuds are happy they don't care about anything else. Combine that with the fact that there is money in it for some and the oceans are as good as dead. They don't have a chance.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Good luck implementing a ban on ocean fishing. There's a lot of illegal fishing going on around the world as it is. The fishing industry has profits to make. That's more important than saving the fish. :rolleyes:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's why I said it was a fantasy. I don't even know how anyone who knows about this can eat fish and still sleep at night.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I don't feel guilty for eating fish, for the record. But I do think these things should be regulated better. I do find it sad that a lot of these animals that have already gone extinct, did so because of human ignorance. The same will happen to the fish. Humans are ignorant enough to think the supply is endless.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
Something I've never understood about extinction is why people think it is so unnatural. Species come and go at an alarming rate, and really only a few of them are ever even noticed or worried about, like pandas, and major fish, and elephants for example. I'm pretty sure 35,000 (don't quote me on that) species come and go every single year, it just makes room for more in the end. Like how we came about, and like how we will be replaced by something else some day.

Who is to say another smaller population of fish won't grow, or that there will never be any more fish? I doubt that would ever happen. Something would either adapt or another species or population would move in.

Species come, species go.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Species go extinct naturally a lot, your right, but in these cases they are going extinct because of human interference which is why it's so bad. That's not natural in any way and when we step in and interfere like that then nature has a much harder time of fixing itself.

I honestly wish I could have your optimism about fish and the ocean, but after reading what you said it only shows how little you actually know about the issues. If you did some research on the actual state of the ocean right now then you would understand what we are taking about. In this case it isn't as simple as "species come, species go" as you say, but it's a much bigger issue.