• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

1080p HD vs 4K UHD

Daemonic

Registered Member
I'm going to wait until there is more content, they are cheaper, and have better quality before buying a TV. I did buy a 4k monitor a couple months ago but only because I finally found one for a decent price and 75 Hz with display port. The displays I found before which I could afford only had 30 Hz refresh rate. The monitor is worth it for me because the computer isn't just for watching videos and there isn't much to watch yet in 4k. Although, I am happy with how 4k video looks on it. As for the motion blur, I have somewhat noticed that on video but it only bothers me when I'm sitting right in front of the screen. Still looks better than my 1080p did though and like I said, I didn't get the monitor just for video.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm going to wait until there is more content, they are cheaper, and have better quality before buying a TV. I did buy a 4k monitor a couple months ago but only because I finally found one for a decent price and 75 Hz with display port. The displays I found before which I could afford only had 30 Hz refresh rate. The monitor is worth it for me because the computer isn't just for watching videos and there isn't much to watch yet in 4k. Although, I am happy with how 4k video looks on it. As for the motion blur, I have somewhat noticed that on video but it only bothers me when I'm sitting right in front of the screen. Still looks better than my 1080p did though and like I said, I didn't get the monitor just for video.
That's awesome, I'll bet it's a fantastic thing to own. Do you do graphic design on it or something?

As for me, I haven't even considered upgrading because I simply don't have the money got such an expensive set and I'd never find a reasonable use for it. I would totally be open to purchasing a 120hz 1080p set in the near future but the lack of 4K content makes me shy away from the idea of 4K

Daemonic

Registered Member
That's awesome, I'll bet it's a fantastic thing to own. Do you do graphic design on it or something?

As for me, I haven't even considered upgrading because I simply don't have the money got such an expensive set and I'd never find a reasonable use for it. I would totally be open to purchasing a 120hz 1080p set in the near future but the lack of 4K content makes me shy away from the idea of 4K
Not professionally, but I do find myself Photoshopping quite often. Although, that is something I would be interested in getting into professionally.

dDave

V.I.P.
I reckon when they get to the cost of what I paid for my 1080p 42" unit, I'll probably get one.
What TV do you have?

I'm going to hold out until there's plenty of 4K material to watch out there. I remember waiting out the HD DVD vs Blu Ray war to get a player and start buying movies. There's no real war here, not yet. I think we're going to see another format war before we ultimately see everyone decide to move to 4K.

I'm not sure what they're going to do. Manufacture 200GB Blu Ray Discs? We would need new players for those. I know we can't stream that kind of quality, the infrastructure we have (at least where I live) most certainly couldn't handle people streaming 4K from their homes, it can barely handle people streaming 1080p and 4K is 4x the resolution.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My son just bought a 65" HDR 4K and I love it. Its a Sony and he paid over $3.000 for it. A little expensive for me but the picture is superb. He also bought Earth II in 4K. Best part of the deal is I get his old 65" Samsung. Its not 4K but it is 1080. He also doesn't watch his TV's much so it's barely used.

The TV I was talking about buying earlier on this thread has already developed problems. However getting hit by lightning doesn't help a TV.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Technology 6
dDave Technology 5
Mirage Movies & TV 14