1080p HD vs 4K UHD

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
4K is the next standard in television resolution. This is nearly to raw quality which means we won't be seeing resolutions getting too much better on televisions in the future (kinda makes you wonder what kinds of developments will be made next)

4K Ultra High Definition (UDH) is the equivalent of 2160p which is a resolution of 3840x2160. This means that a 4K TV will have exactly 8,294,000 pixels as opposed to 1080p which has 2,073,600 pixels. Note that 4K has exactly 4 times as many pixels, this means that something like a Blu-Ray disc or 1080p video game console will scale perfectly to a 4K TV.

The difference in quality is astounding. This jump is nearly as big as the jump from DVD to Blu-Ray.

Check out these images.

^You'll have to clock on that one to see it at full size (which is necessary for the sake of this thread).

4K TVs are still quite expensive right now but we'll see them come down in the next few years as well as see new developments that will offer 4K sources for home use.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Here's a more recent comparison shot that I've found. It's best to enlarge the image by clicking on it and then back up about 15-20 feet from your screen and slowly approach the image. This really puts it into perspective just how good 4K is.

Keep in mind that this is super zoomed in and that's why the 480 shot looks like complete crap. They had to zoom it enough to get the 4k to look great on a much smaller screen than what 4k is designed to handle.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree the 4k does look better but I bet they are super expensive. I'm needing a new TV right now but I'm going to buy a 1080.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I have to agree the 4k does look better but I bet they are super expensive. I'm needing a new TV right now but I'm going to buy a 1080.
It's not just better. It's exactly 4 times the amount of pixels that 1080p has to offer. ;)

You're absolutely right though. If I were buying a new TV right now I would go for a 1080p LED 120hz/240hz television at however many inches I needed, no way would I fork over the money for a 4K set that doesn't even have any content to play at this point (not to mention the ludicrous price).

I definitely plan to get one in the future though.

Right now I'm running a 55" 1080i TV in my room and I am pretty satisfied with it (have a 720p projector and a 1080p 60" in other parts of the house as well). My 55" is more than 10 years old I'm pretty sure but I'm good with it for now. We're at that awkward transition period where people will slowly start adapting to the newer and better technology as the price drops slowly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe the next one I get will be a 4k when the price comes down. The next one will have a led back light since they aren't so sensitive to being turned on and off. I'll probably just get another 42 inch, my living room isn't that big.

What brand do you have? I've never had one last that long. I have a friend that bought a cheap Vizio and its outlasted any I've had.

Meh. I'm happy with my current TV. No way I fork over that kind of cash, no matter how good it looks.
------
I have a friend that bought a cheap Vizio and its outlasted any I've had.
My last two TVs have been Vizio. Never had a problem with either.

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Maybe the next one I get will be a 4k when the price comes down. The next one will have a led back light since they aren't so sensitive to being turned on and off. I'll probably just get another 42 inch, my living room isn't that big.

What brand do you have? I've never had one last that long. I have a friend that bought a cheap Vizio and its outlasted any I've had.
We have a Marantz 720p projector, had that one since 2003. Use it pretty regularly and still haven't had to replace the lamp, very surprising.

I just looked up the model number of my 55" Mitsubishi and it's also 11 years old. I got it for free on Craigslist and it's actually pretty nice (though it's HUGE)

Our Sharp 60" is a little over 2 years old. It's got a really clear picture and it's a really quality item, I definitely like it.

If you want to know what will last long though, Mitsubishi and Marantz have really impressed me in that respect.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Meh. I'm happy with my current TV. No way I fork over that kind of cash, no matter how good it looks.
------

My last two TVs have been Vizio. Never had a problem with either.
I'm thinking about buying a Vizio, the price is right on them.

We have a Marantz 720p projector, had that one since 2003. Use it pretty regularly and still haven't had to replace the lamp, very surprising.

I just looked up the model number of my 55" Mitsubishi and it's also 11 years old. I got it for free on Craigslist and it's actually pretty nice (though it's HUGE)

Our Sharp 60" is a little over 2 years old. It's got a really clear picture and it's a really quality item, I definitely like it.

If you want to know what will last long though, Mitsubishi and Marantz have really impressed me in that respect.
You got it for free, how lucky can you get. We've had Mitsubishi CRT's before and the last one didn't last long. Guess their LCD's are much better. I've always heard good things about Sharp. My son wants a projector for his house, I'm going to tell him about yours.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I'm thinking about buying a Vizio, the price is right on them.

You got it for free, how lucky can you get. We've had Mitsubishi CRT's before and the last one didn't last long. Guess their LCD's are much better. I've always heard good things about Sharp. My son wants a projector for his house, I'm going to tell him about yours.
Well a guy was throwing it away on Craigslist, that's how I got it for free. There's not even anything wrong with it (it's basically undamaged, it is a rear projection television though).

I can't believe I forgot about this but yes, we do have a vizio as well. My parents have a 40" LCD vizio panel in their room, we got it somewehat recently. It's a good TV, I still prefer Sharp over them though.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
4K has too many issues.
1. The standard HDMI has bandwidth issues with UHD. That means reduced frame rates and to get color and other upgrades for 4K TV you have to do hardware upgrades to the TV.
2. The stills are awesome but not picture motion. Thats at the low end and the 4K TVs have mid-range contrast ratios.
3. Yeah they have higher refresh rates but what they need is motion interpolation to fix motion blur. That means that the 2160p = 1,296 lines with motion.
4. 4K OLED TVs do address the contrast ratio issue but whats on the market doesnt. And thats still only 1 issue.

So the issue is that the 4K TVs on the market are just 4K resolution and thats all.
Oh and dont forget that a lot of the 4K TVs are edge lit and that = poor picture uniformity.

So no. I dont want 4K till they fix all the other issues.