• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies 100 Essential Movies

Malificus

Likes snow
Moulin Rouge needs to be in the list of Musicals too. It revived the musical genre for the new millennium. |:

I also think there should be some Disney movies in there, like Beauty and the Beast, or the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
I wouldn't say Clerks 2 is a must have, it was really good, I own it but I'm not going to say everyone should have a copy.

I'd also go ahead and throw up Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind in the chick flick category (although I think it was too surreal to be a chick flick)

Also couldn't help but notice you left Rocky Horror Picture Show out of the musical section, all I can say is come on man.
The problem with THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW is that unless you're seeing with an audience who are acting and singing along with the movie it really doesn't work. I've seen it both with an audience and at home on video and it makes a whole world of difference. Watching with an audience is a lot of fun and the community/participation enhances the whole experience. Watching it at home on video is a different thing. The flaws and terrible acting stand out more than anything else.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Have to agree with the Green Mile, wolfheart.

And, one of my personal favourites, The Shawshank redemption. An amazing film.

I'll try to think of a few more :)

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
And what about Conan the Barbarian?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm very glad that your adding Rocky, a lot of people don't show enough appreciation for that movie in my opinion. A lot of people don't know that it won Best Picture in 1979.

Pride of Yankees is a great film, I've seen it a few times and it never gets old, but it also helps that I'm a huge fan of Lou Gehrig, so I appreciate the film even more because of that.

For my name in the book, just put "Bizzy" for me please.

padd

Registered Member
I'm very glad that your adding Rocky, a lot of people don't show enough appreciation for that movie in my opinion. A lot of people don't know that it won Best Picture in 1979.
Well, winning awards doesn't mean much. It's all opinion of the movie critics. Forrest Gump won best picture and many people believe it is just an okay movie.. nothing to great. Although I agree with Rocky being 1 of the better movies I have seen, parts 2-5 though get boring but #1 is really good. 6 was a nice add

DLFerguson

Registered Member
What about animated films? I would definitely put Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron on that list, plus Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit
I'm going to have a separate "Animation" category and I'm going to put CHICKEN RUN on it. Let me think about WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERERABBIT and get back to you on that.

And before you ask, yes I have seen it and I have all the WALLACE & GROMIT short films on both VHS and DVD.
------
A couple that I just remembered that I need to see myself if you haven't either to possibly add to this list are BONNIE AND CLYDE and THE CONVERSATION.

Another amendment for your Sci-fi/horror list is BACK TO THE FUTURE... Actually that could go on other lists besides Sci-fi horror. Either way I'd consider adding it in somewhere.
BACK TO THE FUTURE, BONNIE AND CLYDE and THE CONVERSATION have all been added. Good call on THE CONVERSATION as well. Excellent early Coppola with a wonderful Gene Hackman performance.
------
I'm looking at the musicals list and noticed you didn't include Sound of Music. It's like one of the bibles for us who are in the music field. I haven't seen the other movies you wrote there so I cannot suggest which to bump, should you decide to add SoM. I'll probably pick Dreamgirls (I saw it and didn't like it much).

Oh another music/bio related is the movie Amadeus. It's not really a musical in the sense that they don't sing the dialogues but the movie was very much dependent on the use of Mozart's music while telling his life.
Even though I cannot abide even five minutes of THE SOUND OF MUSIC I'm going to add it to the list because so many others have insisted it deserves to be on there. And I am telling you that DREAMGIRLS is not going.

I'm gonna sit and think about AMADEUS a bit...get back to you on that one.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Even though I cannot abide even five minutes of THE SOUND OF MUSIC I'm going to add it to the list because so many others have insisted it deserves to be on there. And I am telling you that DREAMGIRLS is not going.

I'm gonna sit and think about AMADEUS a bit...get back to you on that one.
----------------

I LOL'd. :lol: