• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies 100 Essential Movies

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
What about animated films? I would definitely put Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron on that list, plus Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit

Italiano

Film Elitist
A couple that I just remembered that I need to see myself if you haven't either to possibly add to this list are BONNIE AND CLYDE and THE CONVERSATION.

Another amendment for your Sci-fi/horror list is BACK TO THE FUTURE... Actually that could go on other lists besides Sci-fi horror. Either way I'd consider adding it in somewhere.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
Hmmmm, you know this list is giving me the urge to buy and watch more movies right now. heh.

You put TROPIC THUNDER up there already I see. I might be a little hesitant yet, but I think I need to see it again. It's good, real good.

One suggestion toward your musical list which I consider a staple: THE BLUES BROTHERS. Some of the best music I've ever heard created for a motion picture, a story you're more than willing to become invested in, and many appearances by some of the greatest voices in music.

The list I have the biggest quarrels with is your sci-fi/horror list. I don't see any of the greater classic films such as HALLOWEEN, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, THE THING, or even any of the EVIL DEAD series. Even SHAUN OF THE DEAD deserves a place up there.

I do see that you have FREQUENCY and THE CORE up there... Really? Actually (and you're probably going to scold me for this) but I'm not the biggest fan of BLADE RUNNER either. I haven't seen AI or HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL yet, but I do need to see LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT. I would recommend it, but I haven't seen it yet.
THE BLUES BROTHERS is a good call. I'll put that on the revised list (which I'll post here in another day or two)

I've split Science Fiction and Horror into two seperate catergories and I already had THE THING on the list under it's original name "The Thing From Another World"

THE CORE has been kicked off the list so you can breathe easier:D
------
I see one more glaring omission - Casablanca.

Also, I would defnitely drop Godfather III. That piece of crap only gets worse with time. Number One on the list of Movies That Should Never Have Been Made.

Everyone should definitely see Arsenic and Old Lace at least once in their lifetime. It's hilarious - Peter Lorre at his absolute best.
Here's where I commit suicide: I've seen CASABLANCA maybe three times and I still don't see what's so great about it. I think TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT is a far better movie.

I don't think GODFATHER III is that bad of a movie and if you're going to invest the time in the first two then you might as well watch the third. I will say that it's not necessary to see it, though.

I've seen ARSENIC AND OLD LACE maybe a dozen times and it still makes me laugh just as hard as if I've just seen it for the first time.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Isn't it called "Charlie and the Chocolate factory"?

Plus I didn't see The Lord of The Rings on that list anywhere. What's up?:-/
Charlie was the original movie - the great movie. Willy was the new one with Johnny Depp - the awful movie.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
Charlie was the original movie - the great movie. Willy was the new one with Johnny Depp - the awful movie.
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY was the original version with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. And I consider far superior to the Tim Burton remake. Which is good, mind you but it just didn't turn my crank like the original.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just wondering if your going to comment on my Sports movies list that I've added. I just want to know your opinions on the movies I listed. Which in my opinion belong on your list.

padd

Registered Member
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY was the original version with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. And I consider far superior to the Tim Burton remake. Which is good, mind you but it just didn't turn my crank like the original.
I actually thought that was the only remake in history that was better than the original

DLFerguson

Registered Member
Just wondering if your going to comment on my Sports movies list that I've added. I just want to know your opinions on the movies I listed. Which in my opinion belong on your list.
HOOSIERS, RUDY, ABOVE THE RIM and PRIDE OF THE YANKEES I've never seen. But I'm willing to add PRIDE OF THE YANKEES as I've heard about this movie since I was a kid. There's really no reason for me not to have seen it, though. Turner Classic Movies airs it pretty regular.

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN, ROCKY and THE NATURAL have all been added to the list. I'm going to post the revised version in another day or so everybody can see what's been taken off and what's been added.

In addition, I'd like for everybody who has participated in this to please let me know what name they want to be credited byin the book as I'm going to acknowledge everybody who's helped me with this list. You all have been a fantastic help in getting this mollyfoggin' list in shape. Send me a personal message with whatever name, whether you real one or the name you use at GF you want to be acknowledged by.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Shit yeah, you're indeed right. I should have looked it up to make sure before I said it... :rolleyes:

It was indeed much better than the remake. The Johnny Depp film made me want to cry.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm looking at the musicals list and noticed you didn't include Sound of Music. It's like one of the bibles for us who are in the music field. I haven't seen the other movies you wrote there so I cannot suggest which to bump, should you decide to add SoM. I'll probably pick Dreamgirls (I saw it and didn't like it much).

Oh another music/bio related is the movie Amadeus. It's not really a musicale in the sense that they don't sing the dialogues but the movie was very much dependent on the use of Mozart's music while telling his life.