• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

10-year-old suspended for brandishing "level 2 lookalike firearm"

dDave

V.I.P.
10-year-old suspended for brandishing ?level 2 lookalike firearm? (aka his fingers) – Glenn Beck

This is... I don't even know. The words just escape me.

How intimidating does this sound? "The student brandished a level 2 looklalike firearm"

Honestly. I must "brandish" a level two lookalike firearm every single day and nobody has ever said anything to me.

It's sort of scary to me that they have changed a finger gun to be a "level 2 lookalike firearm". They're using the words to make it sound WAY scarier than it actually is. I don't like that a child can be suspended for this either.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I find the "level 2 lookalike firearm" terminology to be somewhat over-dramatic and kind of ridiculous, but if it against the school rules, then the student should have known better.

A suspension is a little bit harsh though. But is the punishment consistent with other possibly offensive or threatening hand gestures, such as giving someone the middle finger. I don't know if a student would be suspended for giving the finger, but I do think a gesture that says "I'm going to shoot you" is worse than one that says "F you."

Reactions: Sim

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree over dramatic to the big time. Don't point your finger at someone it might go off. What's wrong with schools. It stupid to suspend this child for this.

Sim

Registered Member
I find the "level 2 lookalike firearm" terminology to be somewhat over-dramatic and kind of ridiculous, but if it against the school rules, then the student should have known better.

A suspension is a little bit harsh though. But is the punishment consistent with other possibly offensive or threatening hand gestures, such as giving someone the middle finger. I don't know if a student would be suspended for giving the finger, but I do think a gesture that says "I'm going to shoot you" is worse than one that says "F you."
Agree with this.

However, the parents should certainly teach the kid that pretending to shoot someone isn't a funny game and very rude. At least when it's done in a context of intimidating or insulting someone (rather than some kind of "cop vs. robber" game or such).

Last edited:

Laine

Registered Member
I do not agree this child should be punished for a finger gun. Calling it a level 2 look alike fire arm is just a political way to gain support for it and that should also be done away with. A finger gun is harmless AND how can you "ban" a legitimate sign in the universal sign language for "hunter"? I remember there was a case which a school insisted the parents of a deaf child to change their child name from Hunter because his name sign is the finger gun and was illegal in school. I have never seen a law saying your children may only have certain names outside of Estonia (yes it does as ridiculous as it sounds).

But here in the USA, no such laws exist and a finger gun is just a finger gun or the deaf sign for Hunter, either the name or the action.

Boys at 10 years old like to play games like soldiers and this kind of thing. I think a 10 year old see's a soldier as a hero and does not understand what goes along with the responsibilities and actions of a soldier. Real life soldiering is not a fun thing, especially in a time when gun fire is needed, but to children it is glorified in movies and TV shows. Maybe it is not the children we need to change, but what our society glorifies.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.

You pretty much pulled the words out of my head. Definitely overblown, however if the school had told kids they wanted them to go easy with the violent gestures then why is there an issue? Like Major said, kids get in trouble for obscene gestures like the finger, why is an execution style gunshot cause for a scandal?

Are some people terrified of guns? Of course, but this has nothing to do with guns and everything to do with attempting to curb what could be dangerous behavior. Is it likely to be harmless? Sure, I'd say so but let's not pretend that this kid is somehow innocent when the school has already issued warnings about this kind of behavior.