$10 HDTV At Best Buy Causes Problems

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by Mirage, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This is ridiculous.

Customers irate about $10 HDTV ad - Smart Spending Blog - MSN Money

Best Buy made a typo on their website and listed a 52 inch HDTV for $9.99. Well, a bunch of people bought one (or several) off their website only to be notified later that Best Buy would not honor the sale since the price was a typo.

I'm with Best Buy here. They made a typo. Everybody had to have known it was a typo. In the end it's their call whether or not they want to honor any sales price, especially a typo like this.

Cheapskates are now trying to organize a class action lawsuit against Best Buy. I hope this fails miserably. Just because a company makes a typo doesn't mean they should legally be required to honor it. I liked what the article said:

Not to mention, Best Buy has some nice text in their terms of use agreement that should more than cover them here:

To all the people who are trying to rake Best Buy over the coals for this, mistakes happen. Quit whining and grow up.

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

They are not legally bound to honor a typo. I'm in the corporate retail business, and have run across this same problem with our company. Unfortunately, at the time, I was in customer service for the CEO of the company (that's where people are so mad that they're calling for the CEO, I was lucky enough to get to handle those), and had to try to soothe those ridiculously irate customers.

I'm pretty sure their case will fail. It holds no water, as far as I can tell.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

If it was me I'd be disappointed I wasn't getting such an awesome deal but I wouldnt sue Best Buy for not honoring it. People are ridiculous...I dont see how this lawsuit wins for those consumers.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

To play devil's advocate here, the one problem I see is that say someone buys a TV online for $900 and all of a sudden, Best Buy charges them $1500, saying the $900 was a typo. Should we just automatically agree that Best Buy is in the right? The classy and honorable thing to do would be to honor the mistakes but Best Buy is in the looming shadows of Walmart and Amazon right now and if I had to guess, BB will be gone in under 10 years.

However, I believe it's up to them whether or not to honor a typo like that, but to me it would be a better idea for them if they honored the prices.

5. Mirage

Well Cons, the scenario you mentioned didn't happen. As far as I know that hasn't happened. We are talking about a TV that should have been several thousand dollars being sold for $9.99. They refunded people's money. They didn't just charge them full price.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Anybody who saw the $9.99 price should have known that it was a typo. It was worth a try to buy the HDTV and see if Best Buy honors it, but if they don't, don't go threatening to file a lawsuit because of it. Just chalk it up to "at least I tried" and move on.

7. Merc

That's the very definition of a "hypothetical" scenario, Brix.

;)

Of course it didn't happen.

It's obviously a good thing they refunded people but they made a mistake and people took advantage. They don't have to go through with it, but Best Buy has suffered a lot of bad PR over the years and honoring the mistake may be a good idea.

8. Mirage

Here's the problem though. If the honored it then they'd be setting a precedent for honoring all typos in the future as well.

People need to just get over their "I am the customer, I'm always right" mentality and start living in real life. In this case they couldn't have been more wrong.

I like the Craigslist example. If you listed your car on Craigslist and put $100 instead of $10,000, would you suck it up and honor it? If not then why should Best Buy do it? Sure they could choose to, but I'm sure you don't agree that the government should force them to, which is what these people are demanding.

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

In a lot of instances, retail companies will honor their typos. However, a mistake this large would lose the company too much money. The consequences of their honoring that ad would be very detrimental to the company. This wasn't just a $20 difference, this was massive.

10. Merc

No, not at all, not even close. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I'm pretty sure I've said it at least twice now, they have the right to choose. This isn't some court of law where their decision sets a precedent.

I agree but it's 110% irrelevant here. This has nothing to do with "the customer is right" it has to do with "the store was wrong". It's not just a bunch of snobby, arrogant consumers. It's a bunch of people who thought they were getting a ridiculous deal and were turned away. It sucks, yeah, but Best Buy does have the choice.

Here's a massive hole in your scenario: Craiglist is not a website that allows for direct online purchasing, there's a huge difference between Craigslist and Best Buy online. I hope those people fail in their lawsuit as well, but I think you're looking way too deep into this.

Best Buy has had some bad PR in recent years surrounding shoddy, sketchy and downright disgusting treatment from Geek Squad employees, pricing and delivery problems, and overall douchebaggry. Not to mention, Best Buy routinely takes advantage of anyone who is computer illiterate by offering them stupid and pointless services which, once again, leads you back to the Perv Squad.

Of course they don't have to honor the price, but doing so would probably generate a ton of sales. ThinkGeek.com had a similar problem recently and honored all the prices and they're a smaller, MUCH smaller company than Best Buy and they reported an increase in sales because of the good press they received. All I'm saying is Best Buy could use it.