10 Books that will scare you to death.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
With Halloween coming up I thought someone might like to curl up with a scary novel. I found this list of books that might make scary reads. I can attest to the fact that The Shining was good and scary but a couple of the others I have only seen the movie version. Its been my experience in most cases the book is better. There is one on that list that I would love to read, sounds like my type of book and that's O My Darling.

Have you ever read any on this list? Was it good? Would you like to read any of these?

10 Novels That Will Scare The Hell Out Of You | Julie Buntin

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Sometimes I forget that I read quite a few Stephen King books when I was younger. I used to like reading that kind of genre, but honestly, a much as I love horror and thriller movies, I wouldn't read the books. I'm a little particular on what I read and I find fantasy to be the only genre I really enjoy reading.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
I have read the original version of "The Shining" back in 11th grade. It was a whole lot better than the 1980 version, plus, the 1997 version actually went according to the book!

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
The only book on that list that I've read is Great Expectations, I didn't read it once but twice. To be honest, I didn't find it scary at all, a little weird but not scary.

I don't actively search for a way to scare myself whether it's in what I read, watch, or listen to. I can understand enjoying the feeling of being temporarily scared but it's just not something I would seek out on purpose.

cobo

I dare to add Stephen King's "Pet Sematary". I read it in my early teens and it gave me the creeps. Although I'm sure if I read it again now at my thirties, I'll fall asleep :-/

Another one not totally belonging to this genre but completely overhelming is Ballard's "Crash".

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Out of that list, I've skimmed through "The Shining". Very creepy indeed, and I love this genre as well. "The Little Stranger" looks like an interesting read though. I will definitely be on the lookout at my local library after I finish "The Red Lotus" :)

whitenblack

Registered Member
Thank you for the list. Now I know what I'm going to read next.
I actually never got scared of the book, but as far as I know H.P. Lovecraft - At the Mountains of Madness is a perfect one. My next book indeed.