• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

'10-11 College Hoops Thread

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Anybody else looking forward to the upcoming college hoops season? It'll be starting up in the next week or two. Here are the preseason rankings...

NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN

No surprise to see Duke at #1. They return several key players from last year's championship team. I don't think they'll repeat though.

I'm glad to see Ohio State at #4. They lost Evan Turner, but they return David Lighty, Jon Diebler, William Buford, and Dallas Lauderdale. Plus they add one of the most talented freshman classes in the country, led by Jared Sullinger. This team could definitely make a run to the Final Four or even win the national championship.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm pumped for the season. I believe the Tarheels will be so much better this season, and can make a run for the Final Four. Watch out for Harrison Barnes, the kid is a special player and he's going to be one of the top players in College Basketball.

Duke definitely deserve to be number one, they are the defending champions and they recruited one of the best Freshman in Kyrie Irving who reminds me a lot of Chris Paul. They are my early favorites to win it all. I will give a better judgement after the season starts.

A lot of people believe Sullinger is a Al Jefferson type of player, I'm definitely looking to see in the upcoming NCAA College season.

Other players that I'm looking forward to watch this year are:

-Perry Jones
-Ernes Kanter
-Terrence Jones

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Well I've watched alot of college basketball last night/today as I put of doing school work. Ohio State played pretty damn well against Florida, especially in the second half. It was a bit hard to tell if Ohio State just stepped on the gas, or if Florida just sort of gave up. Either way, it's a good win for Ohio State.

Also, I have the Butler/Louisville game on right now and I found it kind of funny when they were talking about why everyone seemed to get behind Butler in the NCAA tournament last year, especially in the championship game. They kept hammering on the point that everyone loves a Cinderella Story, but I thought they were ignoring a key fact: Everyone also hates Duke. One of my friends who goes to Wright State University (who are big rivals with Butler) was even rooting for them over Duke.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, the Buckeyes looked really good in the second half. Who knows how good Florida really is at this point, but it's still a big win on the road and should be a confidence builder. Sullinger is a beast. 26 points and 10 boards. Aaron Craft looks like he'll be pretty good as well. The freshmen will only get better as the year goes along. This team has a really good mix of veterans and younger players and I think they're going to be dominant by the end of the season. They need to get better defensively and better rebounding though. Florida shot over 60% and outrebounded them by a pretty big margin.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
North Carolina has lost two games in a row now, first to Minnesota a few days ago, and now Vanderbilt today. I watched most of their game against Minnesota. They looked pretty bad offensively, shooting under 40%. Harrison Barnes struggled to get involved in the offense and forced a lot of bad shots. He was 0-12 from the field and had only 6 points. He just doesn't seem nearly as polished as Sullinger at this point, but I'm sure he'll get a lot better as the season goes along.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Harrison Barnes hasn't looked impressive at all thus far. I haven't seen much of him, but it seems like he has problems with his jumpshot. It also seems that he's not ready for real competition, he got schooled by Jeffery Taylor last night. He has a lot of work to do. The Tarheels need a lot of work since it seems like they are not clicking with each other, they need to find team chemistry and play better defense.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Well I have the Big Ten/ACC challenge on in the background as I'm studying, and Ohio State pretty handedly beat Florida State based on what I saw, 58-44. The Challenge is currently tied up 2-2, with Northwestern destroying Georgia Tech, but Wake Forest edging out Iowa and Virginia upsetting number 17 ranked Minnesota. Also, as I'm writing this, Illinois has a 7 point lead at halftime and Michigan is beating Clemson 45-37 with about 12 minutes left in the game.

Lets go Big Ten!

EDIT: I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the OSU game as I though. Turns out Florida States defense did a good job of keeping Ohio State in check, but Ohio States defense did a better job of keeping FSU in check. Either way, a win is a win.

EDIT #2: Michigan and Illinois both won, so that makes the current standings for the Big Ten/ACC challenge 4-2. If the Big Ten can get two more wins, the Big Ten will take home the crown for the second year.

EDIT #3: Well Wisconsin beat NC State and Purdue beat Virginia Tech in overtime so the Big Ten is going to win this years Big Ten/ACC challenge. Still going to watch the Michigan State/Duke game, since it should be entertaining and a well played game.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sullinger dropped 40 on IUPUI tonight. Sadly it was a close game until late, but the Buckeyes ended up winning by 11. Not sure why the other players weren't scoring much. And it bugs me how Matta only goes 7 players deep when he has plenty of talented players on the bench. Wouldn't surprise me if Sibert ends up transferring with how little playing time he gets.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just finished watching the Tarheels vs Texas, it was a great game. Unfortunately the Tarheels loss the game. Joseph of Texas hit a hard 15-footer to win the game, before that Barnes hit the best shot of his College career when he hit a three pointer to tie the game. The Tarheels had a chance to win the game, but they couldn't hit a basket when a few seconds left on the clock.

Sullinger is definitely early favorite for National Player of the Year. He had another great today, where he posted 30 points and 19 rebounds. I know he was going to be a great player coming into the year, but I definitely didn't expect him to dominate like this.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sullinger definitely looks like the best freshman, if not the best player period. Watch out for Selby though. He just played his first game for Kansas and hit the game-winning three. They've won like 68 straight games at home.