• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

$1.4M IBM Server Dropped By Forklift

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
oh no kidding! that sucks : / kinda funny though. But why are they suing for damages beyond the value? I mean please just ask them to replace it and ship another one for free. One that is packaged properly.:stare:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only reason I can think of for suing for damages beyond the value is if they had irreplaceable data on the server. It sounds like it was a new server though, and either way they should have had a backup.

Note to self. Next time I put my server on a forklift, back up everything first! :)

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I am pretty sure it was a new server. I think the reason they are sueing is to get back the money that they spent to buy a replacement server to ship to their customer.

I don't know all of the circumstances of this. But since I have worked for a company that moved things around with a forklift I know have things can move when hitting a bump. If this item was a large as I think it was, they should have taken extra caution before moving it with the forklift. Like strapping it the lift so that if it did sway it would not fall off.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Re: $1.4M IBM Server Dropped By Forklift?

Isn't it common sense to strap things down to move them? Isn't this a concept we all learn as children?

Was it Piaget or Kohlberg that said a large amount of people never reach the formal operational stage? Does strapping down count as abstract problem solving?

Heh, why did I write this reply in questions?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Well, some people are just incompetent. I would hate to be that guy though.

dDave

V.I.P.
I can't imagine just how fired somebody is going to be. It's a major problem when you lose your server and don't have all of the data backed up. I totally understand why they are suing though.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Wasn't it a brand new server, though?

And I'd hope that they had their servers backed up anyway, several times over.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
The article states..

"As a result of the rocking motion, the base of the pallet and the crate broke and the crate fell onto the curb, damaging the server packed inside," the contractor states in papers filed in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va.

If IBM crated it and put it on a pallet, wouldn't it already be strapped to the pallet by them? The forklift then slips into the pallets slots. It sounds like T.R. Systems is claiming IBM didn't properly package the product because the height and weight caused both the pallet and crate to break. If this is indeed the case (the article isn't very specific) then IBM would be liable for the damages IMO.

Either way, the item should have been insured by the purchaser, saving everyone (except perhaps the insurance company) a costly lawsuit.