09-10 College Hoops Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Major, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Conference play is underway which means the season is finally starting to heat up, so I thought it was a good time to make this thread.

The Big Ten, ACC, Big East, and Big 12 should all be fun to see how they unfold. There's so much parity in some of them. The Big 12 will all come down to Kansas and Texas. Kansas State has looked good as well. They gave Texas their first loss of the season last night.

Defending champs North Carolina are struggling right now. They've lost three of their last four.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I kind of expected the Tarheels to struggle since they loss their heart and passion in Tyler Hansbrough, but they also loss other key players. They don't really have anyone that stands out except Ed Davis.

It's a shame that Evan Turner got injured earlier this season because he making strides and he was making a name for himself.

Two other players that I really love watching is Wesley Jones from Syracuse the guy has a lot of talent, he plays either Shooting Guard or Small Forward and he's real talented. But the guy that I love watching the most is John Wall the kid is special, and he's making an impact right away as a Freshman, he's also leading Kentucky to a great record.

I try to watch as many games as I can, now that it's getting in "crunch" time their showing more games here which is great.

3. Major

Deon Thompson was a beast earlier in the season. I really thought they would be hard to match up against for a lot of teams because of their size. I think inexperienced guard play is finally catching up to them.

Turner is actually back already and the Buckeyes are 3-1 since his return. He scored 32 points in a win over Purdue last week.

4. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Texas losing the other night was a huge blow.

Although I will say I felt that Texas was the number 1 team because all the other major teams had lost.

Kansas and Villanova are the 2 best teams in the top five. Kentucky is good but IMO a little overrated. Purdue is sliding I think its very possible that they will slip out of the top 25 before season end.

I just started to catch the games that are airing now.

Kentucky will likely lose to Vanderbilt on the 30th. It should be a very exciting game.

5. Babe_Ruth

I don't believe Kentucky is overrated at all, I think their one of the best teams in the nation, not only do they have the best player in the country in Wall, but they also have Cousins and Patterson who are really talented players. Their a very good coached team as well.

I don't see Taylor, Beal, Ogilvy and company being able to beat them during their match up coming this month.

Personally I always thought Aldrich and the Jayhawks are overrated.

6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Its easy to they they aren't overrated MJ because they havent lost. But their conference is on the weaker side and haven't played against a big conference rival.

I am saying they are little overrated and they will likely lose to one of their first challenging inner conference games against Vandy.

Kansas has been competitive always had a high talent level every year. This is the first year in a while that Kentucky is a high ranked an competitive team. Usually the first year with new players a team like them will seem dominant during the season but they will fail to advance far in the tournament. Probably Florida is only team in recent years to overcome that.

I think Kentucky will stumble before the tournament comes and get a #2 cede.

7. Major

It really doesn't matter whether they're a 1 seed or a 2 seed. They are a solid team with non-conference wins over North Carolina and UConn. They'll have some tough games in conference play against Tennessee, Mississippi St, and Vanderbilt. Three of their top four scorers are freshman and they will only get better between now and tournament time.

8. Babe_Ruth

The thing is Swift even though they haven't played against a "top tier team" they've still won all their games to this point. They also have three freshman leading the way, which means they didn't have any College Basketball experience coming into this season, which makes it even more remarkable.

Kansas lost to a Tennessee team that was missing a couple of their best players, so in other words they choked. I don't see how you can say their better than Kentucky.

I don't think the Wildcats will go undefeated, but I see them finishing stronger and better than the Jayhawks.

9. Major

Kentucky lost on the road to South Carolina tonight. I had a feeling it would be a tough game for them. That was only their second decent opponent on the road all year. They have several more they could lose down the stretch. I still think they're a lock for a 1 seed unless they totally collapse.

10. Babe_Ruth

I knew it would be tough against South Carolina and I'm not surprised they lost against them. I never expected them to go undefeated anyway. Downey was great down the stretch, taking low percentage shots and draining them.

The Freshman group for Kentucky pretty much led this team, the other players didn't do much.

Also Kentucky took to many ill advised three point shots late in the game.

With all that being said I still believe their one of the best teams, if not the best team in College Basketball.