05-06 Eastern Conference Semi-final: Carolina Hurricanes vs New Jersey Devils

Turbo

Registered Member
OK folks, the Quarterfinals are over and done. The top teams from the East have moved on. This particular thread will highlight and cover the series between the Carolina Hurricanes(CAR) and the New Jersey Devils(NJD).

Carolina went into the first round against a Montreal team who fought their way up into playoff contention, but they could keep the fight going. Montreal was knocked out by the Hurricanes 4-2 in the series.

Carolina is got the big guns of Eric Staal, Rod Brind'amour and Cory Stillman fired up and ready to go. The only thing for the 'Canes to worry about is their rookie goaltender Cam Ward.Will the pressure get to him or will he hold up?

As for their opponents, the New Jersey Devils can definately be considered this years "comeback kid". A month before the playoffs began they were on the brink of heading to the golf courses. But with a quick change in lines and the return of Patrick Elias they stole the Atlantic Division title from my beloved NY Rangers and quickly swept them out of the playoffs in a 4-0 series.

Going into the second round all the regulars for the Devils are ready to go. Patrick Elias, Scott Gomez, and Jamie Langenbrunner are hungry for more goals. And you can't mention the NJD without mentioning the goaltender that has gotten them 3 Stanley Cups, Martin Brodeur. Brodeur is bound to break all of the great Patrick Roy's records, but he's shown signs that he isn't the Brodeur of old. Perhaps the Devils defense has helped him or the luck of the opposition hitting the posts has gotten him this far. We'll have to see if Marty and the Devils can stand up the Hurricanes.

This should be a great series. During the season CAR and NJD have a 2-2 record; which doesn't help predict the results of this series.

My prediction: Carolina beats NJ in 7 Games.

Share your thoughts on this series and look here after the games for my break down.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This should be an up and down series. Both have very talented scorers and both defences are pretty strong. The advantage has to go to The Devils because they've won 15 games in a row and they have Martin Brodeur has their goalie. My predictions for this series are the following. New Jersey takes it in 5 games. Cam Ward was very steady against Montreal but I have a feeling his luck is gonna run out against The Devils.

Turbo

Registered Member
It is true that the Devils are on a run, but they're gonna burn out eventually. It'll be a good series either way.

Turbo

Registered Member
Brodeur has been got, but he's been a bit sluggish lately and hasn't been able to play the puck since the trapazoid was put behind the nets.

Vegito728

Registered Member
I just think New Jersey is a way better team with a much better goalie. And I think that's why they will win this series.

Turbo

Registered Member
I think for the Devils to win they gotta get the 'Canes to take stupid penalties like my Rangers did, otherwise it's close to call.

Turbo

Registered Member
Game 1 Results - CAR leads series 1-0

Everyone was expecting a nice steady game between the 'Canes and Devs. Boy were we wrong. This game went from standard playoff game to total blowout as the 'Canes take the first game of seven with a 6-0 beating of the Devils.

The only negative for both sides going in was the absence of Devils D-Man Colin White who is still recovering from an injury sustained during the first round. The big matchup was the Madden Line against the Brind'amour Line; but that soon disappeared.

The first period was easy, NJD went down by one after defenseman K. Klee took a delay of game penalty. The goal was scored by Ray Whitney off of Lukowich from the Devils as Whitneys pass bounced off of Brodeur then off Lukowich and through the 5-hole. After that Klee takes a tripping penalty giving the Hurricanes another Power Play advantage that the Devils killed off thanks to some key saves by Brodeur.

Three minutes into the second period Whitney scores again as the puck deflects off the heel of Brodeurs stick and in making it 2-0. Carolina then got into trouble with 3 consecutive penalties that ended with very little action from the Devs. And that was it, the Devils take two penalties that result in a 48 second 5-on-3 that the 'Canes turn into 2 Power Play goals making it 4-0 in 36 seconds of play.

The third started out quiet with stellar saves at both ends of the ice for Ward and Brodeur. At least until Jansen goats Commodore into a fight. Jansen gets an extra two minutes for instigating which Carolina's Doug Weight easily takes advantage of by making it 5-0. This pattern continued as Marshall of the Devils takes a boarding penalty allowing Brind'amour to make it 6-0 with yet another power play goal. At this point Brodeur was removed and Clemenson finished the game for the Devils.

Carolina kills a late power play attempt by the Devils giving their rookie goaltender Cam Ward his first career playoff shutout.

The Devils have a lot to think about before Mondays game as they now know that it's not gonna be easy to survive the Hurricanes.

NOTE: I need someone to cover game 2 analysis since I'll be away till Tuesday.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Well I expected it after the Anaheim game. The team that had the most rest lost which ain't unusual. But expect a rebound by Broduer and the Devils.