Wii 007 Goldeneye Reboot; Wii Exclusive

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Saw this news and now I have mixed feelings after watching the trailer.

Never say never, gamers.

On Tuesday, Activision unveiled GoldenEye 007, a re-imagined take on a Nintendo 64 classic that many consider to be among the greatest first-person shooter games ever created. And like its forbear, the new version will be a Nintendo exclusive when it arrives this holiday for the Wii console.

The reveal took place during Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference, just hours before the official start of the game industry's annual mega-convention in Los Angeles. While Nintendo certainly made waves with its other announcements, the coming of a new GoldenEye rivals them all.

Perhaps the most notable tweak is a casting change. Current Bond Daniel Craig will replace traditional GoldenEye lead Pierce Brosnan as the star of the show, and while that might not sit well with GoldenEye purists, the game itself looks to stay true to form.

With an emphasis on multiplayer (the real hallmark of GoldenEye), the new effort boasts 40 different characters, 5 maps, 3 basic modes and 16 modifiers that will purportedly let gamers create over 500 different kinds of multiplayer games. It will also be playable online with up to 8 players and include some sort of experience system rewarding online play. The game will support multiple control schemes as well, including the somewhat underused Wii Zapper.

Released in 1997 for the N64, the original GoldenEye was a bona fide smash. It enjoys a startling 96 rating on Metacritic and has sold over eight million copies, making it far and away the best-selling Bond game ever.

The spy who loved Wii: New GoldenEye game announced - Plugged In - Yahoo! Games
YouTube - Goldeneye 007 - First Footage - Wii Exclusive

Lets be honest here... 3 words come to mind for this game. Doomed....for....failure.

Goldeneye is agreeably one of the best FPS's and Multiplayers of its time. Let me emphasize that.... of...its...time. Its like an A-Team or Karate Kid remake... sounds good on paper but just does not translate well.

So Goldeneye Fans....what are your thoughts?

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I agree, Epic failure.

They turned Goldeneye into CoD, and changed actors? Why would they do that? Why didn't they simply refined the gameplay to be more uresponsive and a slight graphical upgrade, maybe a online MP and thats it, perfect.

But no...

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I don't know what gave them the idea for this, but the graphics look terrible, I mean come on, if you're going to do this then you need to make the graphics great.

I seriously doubt that I'll be buying this game, it probably won't even have support for dual analog sticks which is the only reason I bought PD for 360. If they were going to re-release the game they should have done it on PS3 or 360, not the Wii of all things.

The cool thing about PD for 360 was that it was the game game only improved, for some reason this new release of Goldeneye doesn't feel like an improvement.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If it has the same (or remixed) music, then it could be good. The levels look like they are modeled after the originals. The music is a big part of my memory of the game though. With all new music it will feel like a whole new game.

Regardless, I probably won't ever play it anyway. I'll most likely watch a few gameplay videos online and then balk a bit and then move on with life. :lol:

Also, I find it interesting that Bond looks like Daniel Craig. I guess it's a licensing issue since he's the current Bond?

Instead of GoldenEyeGame.com they should have bought GoldenEye007.com from me. :D

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with everyone.

The graphics so far look terrible... I mean they dont even look like they've updated from the N64! not that the Wii is known for HD Game Play or anything, but the least they could have done was brought it up with the times.

Instead this looks like they've taken the N64 version, re-dubbed Daniel Craig over Peirce Brosnan and rereleased it. I wont be surprised in the slightest if there literally are no changes other than that. All the sequences they show look almost entirely like they did with the Original.

Now dont get me wrong, as I said in my first Post.... Goldeneye 64 was arguably the best FPS of its time (Perfect Dark fanboys aside). But thats just it, its time is far gone.

Now I dont know if its a Nintendo Licensing thing that kept this title to the Wii and not in the hands of Sony or Microsoft... but even still, I dont think that in the midst of all the War based FPS games that an Espionage 007 game can even compete anymore. The last few have failed miserably and been nothing more than just movie adaptions.

Much like Hybrix, I'll probably just watch a few Gameplay videos, scoff at how far behind the Wii is in Technology and move on with my life.

Poetosis

Registered Member
Am I the only one that actually found it kind of novel that they replaced Brosnan with Craig? Okay, it's not fair on the former, but it made me smile.

They will never be able to recreate the spark that was present in the original game. I'd like to be proven wrong. =)

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I think craig is the worst bond ever, in fact, he looks more like a KGB agent than British, he's not charming and he's not smooth.

I dont see why they had to change it, this is why im against remakes in the first place.

robertras

Registered Member
They should not remake it for the Wii. Not too much will change, and since the graphics obviously haven't improved much, it's pointless. A simple ten dollar re-release on the virtual console is what I want.

MitsuruX

Registered Member
The Game is pretty good (got it earlier this month), but its a complete remake/reimagining of Goldeneye... its very similar to the CoD style... but the Wii mote controls are Great and can be tweeked ALOT to fins a setting that appeals to you.. not to mention the o-line modes are pretty good as well.. a solid shooter for the Wii, but no where near as important to the FPS genre as the N64 game.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I figured I throw in my opinion. I will admit that I was in the same boat as pretty much everyone else here when I first heard about it. I though it was a terrible idea. That being said, I am kinda considering getting it because it's gotten damn good reviews so far.

GoldenEye 007 Review - Wii Review at IGN

IGN gave it a 9/10 and it has an average score of 8.1 from over 300 user reviews, which is far from bad. I would actually consider that a great score because I bet most people who picked it up were comparing it to the original, so an 8.1 compared to one of the best FPS's ever is pretty damn good if you ask me. Based on what I've read they have taken great care to keep the multiplayer true to the original while still upgrading it so that it isn't horribly outdated. You can still do four player split screen and up to eight player online multiplayer, which would be pretty nifty. Anyway, I definitely wouldn't buy this expecting another genre-defining game, but buying it to enjoy an updated classic, hang out with friends, and bitch about whether or not screen-looking is cheating sounds like a damn good time to me.