Can you answer these questions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat

When researchers put the following three problems to 3400 students in
    the US, only 17 per cent got all three right. Can you do any better?

1) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
    2) If it takes five machines 5 minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
    3) In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of it?

I'll provide the answers at a later date, if you want them right away pm me and i'll provide them.

PretzelCorps likes this.
  2. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I think I got 'em. :)

1)
    A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
    $1.05 for the bat
    $0.05 for the ball
    2) If it takes five machines 5 minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
    5 minutes
    3) In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of it?
    47 days

No cheating!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Babe_Ruth likes this.
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm not sure about the last one

1) .05

2) 5 minutes

3) 47 days

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat

I forgot to mention to put your answers in spoilers, good thinking guys.

Also please don't cheat, if you do plan on cheating don't bother in answering this thread, it's no fun that way.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, I just saw that PC and I came up with the same answers so that gives me confidence that I'm right:D

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I'm gonna get these wrong! Because I'm viewing them at face value!

#1: If they both add up to $1.10, and the bat is $1 more, then $1.10 - $1 = $0.10.

#2: If 5 machines make 5 widgets in 5 minutes, that seems like a minute each if they run one after the other. If they run all together, then machine one takes 1 minute, machine 2 takes 2 minutes, machine 3 takes 3 mintes, etc. Either way, it should take 100 minutes for 100 machines. Whether they all run together, or if they run one after the other, is up to you.

#3: 47 days. The next day, the patch would double in size, covering the entire lake.

So, where's my failing grade?
    ------
    I fail!

Well, at #1 and #2 anyway.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Heh, I did the first one, then gave up on the second and looked at Pretz/Cappy's answers :lol:

Where'd you get this from, BR?

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

1.) $0.05
    2.) 5 minutes
    3.) 47 days

I thought #1 was really easy then I realised I had it wrong:lol:

9. Dragon

Dragon Happy Thanksgiving! V.I.P.

I can probably only answer the question in the thread title and that would be no. I read the questions multiple times and I still got stumped.

Im going to send this to my roomate. Supposedly he is smart.

10. Puck

Puck Registered Member

Ha, all of these were so clever!

I wonder how many I got right?
    1- 0.05$
    2- 5minutes
    3- 47 days! this is the only one I'm pretty sure I got right

11. Merc

Merc likes burritos V.I.P.

1. 1.05 for the bat, .05 for the ball.
    2. 5 minutes
    3. 47 days

12. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat

They just did a recent study stating that just because you have a high IQ doesn't mean your smart. I will provide the link shortly which gives more information. I just want a few more people to try it out first.

13. Merc

This made me lmao.

First post: "People from the US are dumb, take this quiz to find out if you are too!"

Recent post: "Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you're smart."

14. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

1)
    The ball costs five cents.

2)
    100 minutes...it's a widget a minute

3)
    47 days

15. Clever

Clever Registered Member

1. A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? 0.05$

2. If it takes five machines 5 minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets? 5 minutes.

3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of it? 47 days, I think!

16. Merc

Haha, you failed #2.

:D

17. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat

Cons, there's more then 3,400 people in the United States. So I don't think that first post meant that the Americans are stupid.

Also I'll post the link tomorrow so you get a better understanding of this whole post.

18. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Questions like these are a little easier when you're told "only 17% of people got them" --> Then you're automatically looking for the trick/twist. :lol:

I wonder how it would have went if we were all presented it as a regular IQ test?

19. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P.

I'd like to know more about the 3400 students they chose for this study. I don't want to scroll down and see other peoples answers so I don't know if this was asked and/or answered. That being said I'll post my answers.

1) 10 cents
    2) 100 minutes
    3) 24 days
    EDIT: After checking other answers I realized I'm dumb. anything with numbers, including logic questions with numbers, makes me fail hardcore.

20. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I agree with Pretzel; knowing that a bunch of people failed makes me expect to be tricked.

Personally, I thought they were all pretty easy - you just had to be careful and not just go with your first instinct. Think about the answer, and double check to make sure it fits the question.

The first one is incredibly easy as long as you're willing to guess and check if you have to; just try number combinations until it adds up right - and double check it, like I said.

(watch - now that I said it was easy, I'll get one wrong and look like a complete moron... :lol:)